Hardkernel recently unveiled plans to launch ODROID-Go Super portable retro-gaming console with a larger 5-inch display at the end of January. The console is still based on the relatively low-end Rockchip RK3326 quad-core Cortex-A35 processor coupled with just 1GB RAM found in ODROID-Go Advance.
It does the job for the emulators targetted by the platform, but for a wider range of emulators, a faster processor, and more memory would be nice to have. That’s what the developers of KT R1 portable game console aim to achieve with a much more powerful Amlogic S922X hexa-core Cortex-A73/A55 processor and up to 4GB RAM.
KT R1 preliminary specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S922X hexa-core big.LITTLE processor with 4x Arm Cortex A73 cores @ up to 1.8 GHz, 2x Arm Cortex A53 cores @ 1.9 GHz, Arm Mali-G52MP4 GPU @ 846MHz; 12nm manufacturing process
- System Memory – 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4 RAM
- Storage – 16 to 128GB eMMC flash, microSD card slot
- Display – 4-inch touchscreen display with 800×600 resolution (4:3 aspect ratio)
- Video Output – Mini HDMI port
- Audio – Stereo speaker, 3.5mm audio jack
- Connectivity – Dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 and Bluetooth
- User inputs – “Full buttons with LR3”: dual analog sticks, R1/L1, R2/L2, R3/L3 buttons, D-pad, ABXY buttons, and four more buttons, plus a volume rocker and power button.
- Misc – Vibration motor
- Battery – 4,000 mAh
- Power Supply – Via USB-C with 25W fast charge support
- Dimensions – 153 x 76 x 18 mm
- Weight – TBD
The console will initially run Android 9.0 with Vulkan drivers for 3D graphics acceleration, but if the device performs well, and battery life is not a disaster, we should certainly see Linux-based firmware such Batocera.Linux, Lakka, RetroArch, etc… will certainly be ported to those platforms.
Since the KT R1 will be much more powerful than ODROID-Go Advance/Super, it should be able to run more games including God of War (PSP), Shenmue 2 all capable of running at 60fps on this type of platform. However, PS2 emulation may still not be practical as even with the faster processor one can only hope for a dozen or so fps.
KT R1 portable retro-gaming console is expected to launch on Indiegogo in Q1 2021, and the price floated on Reddit is around $200, so much more expensive than the $80 ODROID-Go Super, but that should be expected due to the higher-end processor, and extra memory and storage. There was no confirmation of the exact RAM/storage configuration for this price though.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|