Digi International has just announced the Digi IX15 IoT gateway and cellular router with Ethernet and 4G LTE connectivity as well as support for Zigbee, Bluetooth 5.0, 2.4 GHz proprietary via an XBee module.
The IoT gateway complies with Class 1 Division 2 (C1D2) certification for environments with flammable vapors or gases, as found in industries such as oil and gas, water/wastewater, energy, and agriculture. It is also programmable through a Python API to enable customers’ specific requirements.
- 10/100M Ethernet RJ45 port
- 4G LTE Cat 4 cellular connectivity
- Supported bands
- 4G – B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B7, B8, B12, B13, B18, B19, B20, B25, B26, B28, B38, B39, B40, B41
- 3G: B1, B2, B4, B5, B6, B8, B19
- 2G EDGE / GPRS: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- Antenna connector – 50 Ω SMA (center pin: female)
- 2x Mini SIM card slots (2FF) with a cover secured with a screw
- Supported bands
- XBee module
- Standard – Digi XBee 3 Zigbee 3.0 MMT with Zigbee, 802.15.4, DigiMesh and BLE (Silabs EFR32MG based) or
- PRO – Digi XBee 3 PRO Zigbee 3.0 MMT with the same features but a higher Tx power and further maximum range.
- Zigbee Tx power – Standard: 6.3 mW (8 dBm); PRO: 63 mW (18 dBm)
- Rx Sensitivity – -102 dBm
- XBee antenna connector – 50 Ω RP-SMA (center pin: male)
- Serial – 10-pin RJ45 RS-232/485 port, software selectable
- Misc – Power, SIM, LTE/Internet, XBee, signal strength status LEDs
- Power Supply – 9-30V DC / 1A via 2-pint terminal block
- Power Consumption – 2.5 W typical (idle); 6 W typical (peak Tx/Rx)
- Dimensions – 157 x 106 x 35 mm (Glass-filled polyphenylene sulphide (PPS))
- Weight – 390 grams
- Temperature Range – -40°C to 74°C, but the device performance may be impacted above 60°C
- Relative Humidity – 5% to 95% (non-condensing)
- IP Rating – IP30
- Safety – UL60950-1, IEC62368-1, CB, EN62311, UL 121201/CSA 213 (Class 1, Div 2)
- Environment – ROHS3
- Emissions / Immunity – CE; RED; FCC Part 15, Subpart B*; ICES-003; AU/NZS CISPR32
On the software side of things the company provides an open-source Python 3 environment for custom application development (but I could not find details), remote management tools with Digi Remote Manager and SNMP v2/v3 support, as well as local management tools include a WebUI and a terminal client.
Digi also lists some troubleshooting tools such as an SCP/FTP client, a protocol analyzer with PCAP for Wireshark, event logging with syslog and SMTP client, NTP/SNTP, Nagios, Intelliflow, iPerf, Dynamic DNS, ping, traceroute. All those simply seem to be off-the-shelf/third-party software tools.
It appears Digi IX15 XBee 3 (Standard) is suited for the EU, UK, and Japan, while Digi IX15 XBee 3 PRO can be used in the Americas. The IoT gateway does not ship with accessories like the power supply, antennas, RJ45 serial cables, etc.. which need to be purchased separately as part of a kit.