Express Logic has unveiled its ThreadX-Lite Real-Time Operating System, a priority-based, preemptive scheduling RTOS for ARM Cortex-M development. It is exclusively be available via IAR Systems and is integrated with the C/C++ compiler and debugger tool suite IAR Embedded Workbench. ThreadX-Lite is “designed to be small, fast, and easy-to-use, while maintaining the functionality and efficiency of a highly optimized RTOS”.
ThreadX-Lite targets Cortex-M0, M0+, M3, and M4-based microcontrollers from Atmel, Freescale, Fujitsu, Infineon, NXP, STMicroelectronics, and Texas Instruments.
ThreadX-Lite is a subset of ThreadX RTOS, both RTOS share features and capabilities packaged in an object library as well as ThreadX API, but it is not very clear what the differences between the two are from the resources available.
Here are the key feature of this RTOS:
- Small-footprint (small as 2KB, automatic scaling)
- Fast execution (sub microsecond context switch)
- Unlimited threads, semaphores, timers, queues, block pools, byte pools, and event flag groups
- Priority-based preemptive scheduling, Round-Robin scheduling, time-slice scheduling
- Supports multiple threads at any priority
- TraceX® system analysis support
- Event logging for TraceX
- Downloadable application modules (available as separate purchase)
- Memory protection for downloadable application modules
- Extensive ThreadX ecosystem
- Safety certifications (DO-178B, FDA510(k), IEC61508, etc.)
- Supports Cortex-M0/3/4 and IAR Systems tools
IAR Systems also provides an RTOS awareness plugin module in IAR C-SPY Debugger that gives a high level of control and visibility over an application built on top of a real-time operating system. Express Logic TraceX graphical event-trace tool is also available for debugging and optimization.
IAR Systems and express Logic can also provide software stacks for ThreadX and ThreadX-Lite, namely:
- FileX embedded file system
- NetX IPv4/IPv6 TCP/IP stack
- USBX Host/Device/OTG USB stack
- PEGX GUI development kit.
ThreadX-Lite is bundled and delivered as an IAR Embedded Workbench project, and is sold at the price of 4,500 USD per seat. ThreadX-Lite is royalty-free and thanks to its single-user licensing model, it can be used on multiple projects. You may also need to purchase an extra license for IAR Embedded Workbench however.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|