We’ve also covered two IoT-focused WiFi 6 and Bluetooth LE chips in the last week with Synaptics SYN43711 chipset and Gigadevice GD32VW553 RISC-V WiSoC, but there’s more and u-blox has recently introduced the MAYA-W3 WiFi 6/6E and Bluetooth 5.4 module with LE Audio support and designed for industrial applications.
The MAYA-W3 module offers some flexibility as it’s designed on the upcoming Infineon AIROC CYW5551x WiFi 6E and Bluetooth 5.4 chip family supporting 2.4 GHz only (CYW55511), 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (CYW55512), and a 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 6 GHz with the tri-band CYW55512 chipset. u-blox also provides three antenna options for each model with two U.FL connectors, two antenna pin connectors, or an embedded PCB antenna.
u-Blox MAYA-W3 specifications:
- Chipset – Infineon AIROC CYW5551x
- CYW55511 for 2.4 GHz WiFi 6
- CYW55512 for 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi 6
- CYW55513 for 2.4, 5, and 6 GHz WiFi 6E
- Bluetooth 5.4
- Output power EIRP – Up to 20 dBm
- Bluetooth profiles and services – Bluetooth HCI
- WiFi 6/6E
- Output power EIRP – Up to 18 dBm
- Wi-Fi micro access point – Up to 12 stations
- Wi-Fi standards – IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11ax
- Wi-Fi Direct
- WPA3 security
- Factory calibrated RF
- Factory-programmed MAC address(es)
- Antenna options:
- 2x U.FL connectors
- 2x antenna pins
- Embedded PCB antenna
- Bluetooth 5.4
- SDIO for WiFi
- UART for Bluetooth
- I2S and PCM for Bluetooth Audio
- Security – Secure boot
- Power Supply – 3.13 to 3.46V DC
- Dimensions – 10.4 x 14.3 x 1.9mm
- Temperature Range – -40 to +85°C
The combination of single, dual, and tri-band WiFi and three antenna options means the MAYA-W3 WiFi 6/6E family has nine members as shown in the list above. The module requires a host microcontroller or processor connected over SDIO, UART, and I2S/PCM.
u-blox says the MAYA-W3 modules are designed for “industrial applications” including healthcare, industrial automation and monitoring, asset tracking and management, and smart home applications. Samples are available now but volume production is only scheduled for Q3 2024 since Infineon CYW5512 and CYW5513 will be commercially available in March 2024 and June 2024 respectively. More details may be found on the product page and in the press release.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.