Cypress Semiconductors PSoC Development Kits
Cypress Semiconductors was at Embedded World 2011 exhibiting their PSoC 5 development kits based on ARM Cortex M3 and analog & digital programmable modules.
They had different development boards and demos based on PSoC 5:
- A simple board with PSoC 5, capacitive sensing, radio and accelerometer where they lit up a LED when the board moves (CY8CKIT-014 kit – see below for details).
- A similar board with a dot-matrix LCD and a potentiometer, where they display the voltage at the Analog input on the LCD. (CY8KIT-010 kit – see below for details).
- A full development kit with PSoC 5, PSoC 3 and PSoc 5. (CY8KIT-001 kit – see below for details).
- Several demo of multi-touch and motion sensors capabilities
The development kits are already available (engineering samples), but PSoC 5 will only be mass-produced in Q3 2011 since they are currently qualifying the chip.
You can see the development kits and demos in the video below with the head of Cypress University Alliance. If you are a university student or professor you may get those kits for free or at discount price.
Here are some of PSoC development kit available on Cypress website:
- CY8CKIT-001 PSoC® Development Kit – PSoC 1,3 and 5 Development kits for 249 USD
- CY8CKIT- 010 PSoC® CY8C55 Family Processor Module Kit – PSoC 5 Development kit for experimentation with Serial Wire Debugging (SWD), an Accelerometer, a Thermistor, Proximity Sensing, a CapSense® touch-sensing interface, a 12-pin wireless module header, a lots (> 100) of general purpose I/O pins (GPIOs), a breadboard and a dot matrix LCD module – 65 USD
- CY8CKIT-014 PSoC® 5 FirstTouch™ Starter Kit – PSoC 5 Development kit for evaluation with Serial Wire Debugging (SWD), an Accelerometer, a Thermistor, Proximity Sensing, a CapSense® touch-sensing interface, a 12-pin wireless module header and a 28 general purpose I/O pins (GPIOs) – 49 USD
The PSoC 5 development tools are available free of charge on Cypress website:
- PSoC Creator – “A software development IDE combined with a revolutionary graphical design editor to form a uniquely powerful hardware/software co-design environment” for PSoC 3 and 5.
- PSoC Programmer – “PSoC Programmer is a flexible, integrated programming application for programming PSoC devices. PSoC Programmer can be used with PSoC Designer and PSoC Creator to program any design onto a PSoC device” for PSoC 1, 3 & 5.
Programming is done in C and with the graphical editor for PLD programming in PSoC Creator.