After much delay, the low cost tablet promised by the Indian government is finally released. The Aakash UbiSlate 7 is designed primarily for Indian students and will be sold to them at a discount. The tablet will be manufactured by Datawind in Hyderabad, India.
The retail price will be 2,999 Rupees (~61 USD), but it will be sold to the government for 2250 Rupees (~46 USD) and will end up in the hands of students for a sponsored price of 1300 Rupees (~26 USD).
Here are Aakash UbiSlate 7 Tablet Specifications:
- Processor: 366MHz Conexant Processor
- Memory: 256MB RAM
- Storage: 2GB Flash memory + 2GB Micro SD card (expandable to 32GB)
- OS: Android 2.2 with Getjar Marketplace (not the default Android Marketplace)
- Display: 7″ resistive touchscreen
- Network: Wifi only. Later models will be GPRS and SIM enabled.
- USB: 2 x ports
- Audio out: 3.5mm jack / Audio in: 3.5mm jack
- Battery: 2100mAh. HD Video playback time: 1.5 to 2 hours. Typical usage time: 3 hours.
- Dimensions: 190.5 x 118.5 x 15.7 mm
- Weight: 350 grams
They did not specify which Conexant processor they used. So I’m going to speculate it is the Conexant CX92745, an ARM9 processor that fits the requirements with touchscreen support, HD video playback, Wi-Fi support , 2 USB ports ans support for memory card. It can also be expanded to support GSM/3G networks. It could also be the new Conexant CX92755 (Cortex A8), but I would expect the CPU frequency to be higher. The older ARM 9 CX92735 could also be a candidate, but I really doubt it can playback HD videos.
You can watch the NDTV video port on the device below.
You can get further information and/or purchasing the UbiSlate 7 by going to the official Aakash Ubislate 7 page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|