We’ve written about USB-C PD power meters in the past such as Satechi USB Type-C power meter. Those allow you to measure (charging) voltage and current displayed on the screen part of the meter.
But thanks to Bluetooth and USB connectivity, Riden TC66C USB PD tester allows you to capture and log data over a period of time by connecting to a Windows program or Android/iOS mobile app. There’s also a version without Bluetooth – TC66 – that only works with the Windows program over USB.
Riden TC66C/TC66 Bluetooth USB PD tester specifications:
- 0.96″ color IPS display with 160×80 resolution
- Auto screen off time – Adjustable up to 9 minutes
- Voltage Range – 0.005V-30V +/- 0.1mV; accuracy: ±(0.5%+10digits at 23℃)
- Current Range – 0 to 5A +/- 0.01mA; accuracy: ±(1%+20 digits, at 23℃)
- Power Range – 0-150W
- Temperature Range – 0 to 80°C
- Load impedance range – 1Ω to 9999.9Ω
- Charge Accumulation Range – 0 to 99999 mAh
- Energy Accumulation range – 0 to 99999mWh / 999.99Wh (maybe two?
- Data refresh rate – 2Hz (0.5 sec.)
- USB Power Input/Output – 1x USB type-C input, 1x USB type-C output
- Host Interfaces – Micro USB port and Bluetooth (TC66C only)
- Quick Charge Recognition Mode – QC2.0, QC3.0, APPLE 2.4A/2.1A/ 1A/0.5A, Android DCP, SAMSUNG, USB PD
- Supply voltage – 3.5 to 24V
- Dimensions – 49 x 22 x 8 mm
- Weight – About 8 grams
- Temperature range – 0~45℃
The company provides both PC software that works on Windows 7 or above over Micro USB cable only and an Android 5.0+ or iOS 8.0+ mobile app for data gathering over Bluetooth only. You’ll find those as well as a user guide on MediaFire, except for the TC66C iOS app which can be installed from the App Store.
We found out about the USB PD tester via Pete Scargill blog who tested both the Windows program and the Android app successfully as shown above. The USB PD tester not only measures voltage and current from which it derives the power but if I understand correctly, it can also detect if data pins are connected, measure/estimate cable resistance, as well as temperature.
Riden TC66 and TC66C USB PD testers are sold on Banggood for respectively $18.99 and $23.99, and you’ll find those on Amazon and Aliexpress.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.