M5Stack has just launched an upgrade to its M5Stack Core development with M5Stack Core2 based on the same Espressif ESP32 WiFI + Bluetooth SoC, but adding capacitive touchscreen support to the 2-inch TFT LCD, as well as a motion sensor and a microphone.
The new version also adds 8MB PSRAM, a larger 390 mAh battery, and targets IoT terminals for Smart Home, industrial automation or robotics, STEM Education, and DIY prototyping.
- SoC – Espressif ESP32-D0WD-V3 dual-core Xtensa LX6 processor clocked at up to 240MHz with 520KB SRAM, Wi-Fi, and dual-mode Bluetooth connectivity
- External Memory – 8MB PSRAM
- Storage – 16MB flash storage, MicroSD card slot up to 16GB
- Display – 2-inch IPS LCD screen with 320×240 resolution (ILI9342C driver), and touchscreen support (via FT6336U controller)
- Audio – 1W speaker (1W-0928), SPM4123 microphone, NS4168 I2S power amplifier
- Antenna – 2.4GHz 3D antenna
- USB – 1x USB Type-C port for power and programming via CP2104 chip
- Sensors – 6-axis IMU (MPU6886)
- Expansion – 1x Grove connector with I2C, GPIO and UART, M-Bus socket
- Misc – Power LED, power button, reset button, 3x touch buttons, vibration motor, BM8563 RTC
- Power Supply
- Input Voltage – 5V @ 500mA
- AXP192 PMU
- SY7088 DC-DC Boost
- 390 mAh/3.7V Lithium Battery
- Dimensions – 54 x 54 x 16mm (Plastic case)
- Weight – 52 grams
- Temperature Range – 0°C to 40°C
M5Stack Core2 is compatible with Arduino, MicroPython, and UIFlow. The latter is a web-based IoT programming tool developed by M5Stack and based on Google Blockly visual programming interface. You’ll find the Arduino library on Github together sample code, and more documentation can be found in the Wiki. Currently, the documentation only refers to Arduino support, and I could not find instructions for MicroPythong nor UIFlow.
As with all other M5Stack CORE products, features can be expanded by stacking various M5Stack “Modules”, “Based” and/or “Units” in a way similar to Lego blocks.
M5Stack Core2 ESP32 IoT development kit can be purchased for $39.90 on M5Stack store, or via distributors.