If you’d wish you could easily carry your laser engraver or cutter around, conveniently store it after use due to the limited space in your office, or/and dreamt of a built-in fume filtration system into your machine, Rendyr’s Optic may be what you are looking for.
It is a foldable, portable laser cutter & engraver that still provides a large 18-inch x 12.2-inch work area (around 457 x 310mm), and also includes a built-in fume filtration system with replaceable multi-stage filter cartridges.
Optic key features and specifications:
- Dual-diode laser module with active cooling
- 15W output power (20W under test)
- Manual focus adjustment with 3-stage precision height gauge
- Focal Length: fixed, 0.78” (20mm)
- Beam Size: 10-100 microns
- Filtration system with easily exchangeable filters
- Optional exhaust module to replace the filter and using a shop vacuum to vent outside
- Work area
- Foldable 457 x 310mm cutting mat with an alignment grid
- “Unlimited” when removing the laser block to work directly on the material (See photo below)
- Host interface – USB Type-C port
- Power Supply – 100W via USB Type-C port (100-240V 50/60Hz power adapter)
- Operating – About 62.8 x 62.4 x 11.8 cm (WxDxH)
- Storage – About 62.76 x 11 x 16.05 cm (WxDxH)
- Weight – 7.37 kg
- Temperature Range – 10° to 24° C (recommended range)
The company provides LightBurn software with Optic package for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and the laser cutter/engraver supports various files formats including SVG, AI, PDF, DXF, PNG, JPG, BMP, etc…
Rendyr compares Optic against another portable laser engraver (Lasser Pecker ) and a desktop laser cutter (Glowforge) in the table below, highlighting the benefits of their solution, with laser pecker 2 lacking cutting support and Glowforge taking much more space.
Optic has been quite popular on Kickstarter and raised over $550,000 from more than 320 backers. A single reward is offered with a pledge of $2,195 for an Optic portable laser cutter with all required accessories and software licenses. Shipping adds $35 to the US and $45 to Canada. Are you living in another country? Sorry, you’re out of luck as the US and Canada are the only shipping options unless you make use of a forwarder. Rewards are expected to ship in October 2022. There may be risks involved, as Rendyr appears to be a new company and Optic is their first product, but on the plus side, they’ve had beta testers trying out prototypes as shown in the promotion video below.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.