The Renesas HMI board is a Renesas RA6M3 Cortex-M4F development board with a 4.3-inch LCD developed in collaboration with the teams behind the RT-Thread RTOS project and LVGL open-source graphics library.
Besides a color display for HMI (Human Machine Interface), the board also features a microSD card for data storage, Ethernet and WiFi connectivity, Arduino headers and PMOD connectors for expansion, a microphone and a speaker, a CAN bus terminal block, and two USB-C ports for debugging and power.
Renesas HMI board specifications:
- MCU – Renesas RA6M3 (R7FA6M3AH3CFB) Arm Cortex-M4F microcontroller @ 120MHz with 2MB Flash, 640KB RAM, TFT controller, 2D accelerator, and JPEG decoder.
- Storage – MicroSD card slot
- Display – 4.3-inch LCD (RGB 888)
- Audio – Microphone and speaker
- Low-profile 10/100M Ethernet RJ45 port
- RW007 SPI WiFi module by Shanghai Ruiside Electronic Technology
- USB – 2x USB Type-C ports
- Serial – 2-pin CAN bus terminal block
- Arduino UNO expansion interface
- 2x PMOD expansion interfaces
- Debugging – On-board emulator (DAP-Link virtual serial port)
- Misc – 3x user buttons, Reset button
The Renesas HMI board comes pre-loaded with RT-Thread 5.0.0 real-time operating systems with the FinSH component line component of the RTOS, and a series of demo examples: LVGL official demo, a video player, and factory firmware. More demos are coming to enable OTA remote upgrade, provide an Arduino compatibility layer, and a Webnet gateway with a built-in web server that can display basic information about the development board, and control the onboard LED through a web interface.
We were not provided with any documentation or code samples, but the company uploaded a short YouTube demo video showing the board in action.
One of the reasons for the lack of documentation is that it looks like an early announcement, and the company (RT-Thread) is taking pre-orders on some online platform, but instead asks people to register their interest on a Google Doc forms to purchase the board for $25 (limited time offer) not including shipping…
If you are of the lucky type, you may even be able to get the board for free, as five Renesas HMI boards will be given away to people who register for the 2023 RT-Thread Global Tech Conference taking place on June 1-3, 2023 online.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.