OLPC XO-4 Touch Laptop Powered by Marvell ARMADA PXA2128
Last year, OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) announced their first laptop powered by ARM, with OLPC X-1.75 powered by Marvell ARMADA 610 single core processor (And sold over 100,000 since Q1 2012). The 2 new models – OLPC XO-4 and OLPC XO-4 Touch – will be upgraded to ARMADA PXA2128 triple core processor (2 ARMv7 Core + 1 Hybrid LPM (Low Power Mode) ARMv7 core), which the OLPC XO-4 Touch offering multitouch support. OLPC XO-4 laptop will look exactly like the OLPC 1.75 laptop pictured below.
OLPC XO-4 will have the following specifications:
- SoC – Marvell PXA2128 (ARMv7 compatible) @ 1 GHz with Vivante GC2000 GPU
- System memory – 1GB or 2GB DDR3 RAM (Depending on configuration)
- Mass storage:
- 4 GB or 8GB NAND flash (eMMC)
- Internal microSD card slot for repair/replacement
- Externally accessible SD card slot;
- Display – 7.5” dual-mode TFT display with touchscreen (2 simultaneous touch max)
- Audio – Internal stereo speakers and amplifier, internal monophonic microphone, jacks for stereo external headphones and microphones.
- Camera - integrated color video camera; 640 x 480 resolution at 30 FPS;
- Connectivity – Integrated 802.11b/g (2.4GHz) interface (Marvell 88w8686 WLAN module)
Sensors – Accelerometer (ST LIS3DH) and light sensor
- External Connectors:
- Headphone output – 3.5mm stereo audio jack
- Microphone input - 3.5mm stereo microphone jack
- USB - 2 Type-A USB 2.0 connectors
- Video Output – micro-HDMI connector
- SD Card slot
- Battery – 2,800 mAh (LiFePO4) or 3,000 mAh (NiMH)
- Dimension – 245mm × 230mm × 30.5mm
- Weight – With LiFePO4 battery: 1.36 Kg; with NiMH battery: 1.58 Kg
Charbax was at Marvell stand at ARM Techcon 2012 to learn more about the new OLPC laptop (See video below), and OLPC XO-4 will not only be faster than OLPC XO-1.75 (Thanks to a faster processor), but possibly lower power as well.
The laptop should be available in Q1 2013. To my knowledge, no price has been disclosed yet, but I suppose it should be below $200 like the previous version. Check out OLPC XO-4 Touch Wiki for more information.
There was also another Marvell educational initiative with the “Classroom 3.0 SMILE Plug”, but since there’s not much new information since my previous post, except a faster processor (ARMADA 370) is used in the latest model and we know the price is $189 (If volumes picks up it will be below $100), I will not blog about it this time. Check out armdevices.net if you want to find out about the latest development for the Marvell SMILE Plug.