There are only a few Intel / AMD x86 embedded development boards on the market, at least for the hobbyist market, namely MinnowBoard MAX based on Intel E3815 or E3825 processors, and Gizmophere Explorer Kit powered by AMD G-Series GT-40E dual core APU + A55E hub controller. Gizmosphere, a non-profit organization, had now released a new version of their embedded board called Gizmo 2 powered by AMD G-Series GX210HA SoC combining a dual core x86 processor, a Radeon GPU, and peripherals.
Gizmo 2 development board specifications:
- SoC – AMD Embedded G-Series GX210HA SOC with a dual core “Jaguar” processor @ 1.0 GHz and a Radeon 8210E GPU @ 300 MHz with support for DirectX 11.1, OpenGL 4.2x and OpenCL 1.2. 153 GFLOPS of performance. 9W TDP.
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM
- Storage – mSATA/mini PCIe Connector + micro SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI
- Audio I/O – HDMI and 3.5mm earphone jack
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 ports, 2x USB 2.0 host ports, 4x extra USB ports available via headers.
- Expansion Connectors
- High-speed and Low-speed Special Features Card Edge Connectors
- 4×1 links of PCIe Gen2 for GPP, and 1×4 links fo PCIe for GPU
- 2x 2.54mm headers with access to GPIO, SPI (for programming), I2C, UART, DAC, ADC
- Debugging – JTAG AMD Debug Header
- Misc – RTC + battery slot
- Power Supply – 12V/2A
- Dimensions – 10.16 x 10.16 cm (4” x 4”)
The board comews with a micro SD card pre-loaded with TimeSys Embedded Linux and a Qt UI, but Minoca OS (That’s new!), and Windows Embedded 7 and 8 are also supported, and a Debian Linux distribution will soon be available. . The platform also includes a coreboot-based SageBIOS open source package from Sage Electronic Engineering. Documentation, hardware design files (schematics, gerber, PCB layout), software downloads (including BSP, application and demo code), project examples, and news will be available on Gizmosphere Community and Element14.
The kit will include the Gizmo2 board, as well as a 12V/A universal power supply, international plug adapter, a micro SD and a coin cell battery. It can be used for digital signage, set-top boxes, IPTV applications, thin clients, home automation, point-of-sale systems, robotics, and more.
Gizmo2 can be purchased on Element14 for for $199. (Product code: GIZMO-2-GSOCD9W-1.0).