As 2010 comes to a close, Digital Signage Today released their top 10 trends for 2011.
Here’s a summary of those trends:
- Cross-media platform and technology integration: Digital signage systems and mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets will communicate more and more be it through QR Code, Near Field Communication (NFC), smartphone gestures, etc…
- Content will continue to be at or near the top of the list: More and more companies are involved in content creation for digital signage / digital out of hone (DOOH) and more diverse and complex content formats will be available.
- M & A and investment – The big shakeout of 2011: Expect more acquisitions that in 2010.
- Even larger amounts of ad dollars will migrate to DOOH: Digital Signage Ad growth spending will carry on, after a 14.8% growth in 2010.
- Experience, engagement and interaction: Instead of simply being an ad to promote a product, digital signage will become more interactive, with potential consumer being able to interactive with the display (often multitouch screen), and application such as face to face interaction, interaction with mobile devices(see item 1) where you may receive an alarm (SMS or other) if you are near a place selling the product or service you want.
- Measurement and acceptance: Results of advertisement campaigns will be be better understand with better metrics such as anonymous video analytics (AVA).
- Progress in content standards: Digital Signage Standards for content with continue their progress. DPAA (Digital Place-based Advertising Association) has adopted H.264 as its preferred codec, but flash has been left out. This may change in 2011.
- Large-scale 2011 projects will march forward: Projects that have been postponed in 2009/2010, will be carried forward in 2011, as the economy recovers further.
- Managed services: As handling all tasks related to Digital signage becomes more complex (network operations, managing and creating content, AVA and metrics…), companies specialized in those services will thrive as more companies outsource these tasks.
- Retail digital world: Retailers will adjust their advertisement strategies by moving out of traditional advertisement platforms towards digital signage as better options are offered to them. They will implement digital signage solutions that include social, desktop, in-store and interactive that will help you buy something today.
For a full version of the article: http://www.digitalsignagetoday.com/article/178442/Digital-signage-The-top-10-trends-for-2011-Pt-I