MINIX, the company that designs and manufacture Android media player such as the MINIX NEO X7, has just launched the MINIX Developer Challenge, and offers prizes up to $5,000 to the best user interfaces for their Android TV Boxes.
In order to participate, you’ll have to design a user interface that works on all the following Android devices: NEO X7, NEO X7mini, NEO X5, NEO X5mini, and NEO G4.
The U.I designs will be judged on the following criteria:
- Ease of Navigation (using only the simple MINIX I.R remote)
- Functionality / ‘User Friendliness’
- Aesthetics / Appearance
- Degree of Innovation / Creativity
There will be three winners with cash prizes. The winner will get $5,000, the second $3,000, and the third $1,000.
Here’s the timeline of the competition:
- December 13th – Competition opens
- February 9th (11:59pm GMT) – Deadline for submissions
- February 14th – Five Finalists announced & MINIX Forum voting opens
- February 28th – MINIX Forum voting closes
- March 3rd – Winners announced
You can even win if you’re not a developer, as voters will be entered into a prize draw to win one of five MINIX NEO X7 Boxes given away.
The company also claims that you can download all necessary resources on MINIX forums, but I could not find any useful resources related to UI development there. I’d imagine the user interface would just be a standard Android launcher.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|