Acme Systems Aria G25 is a tiny system-on-module (SoM) based on Atmel SAM9G25 that sells for as low as 24 Euros. The company is now working on an smaller and lower cost ARM Linux module based on the same processor called Arietta G25. The board targets the hobbyist market and IoT (Internet of Things) applications.
- CPU – Atmel AT91SAM9G25 ARM9 @ 400Mhz
- System Memory – 128 MB DDR2
- Storage – MicroSD Socket for up to 32GB bootable Linux microSD (not included)
- I/Os and other available pins (via 2.54mm though holes):
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host/device (High Speed), 1x USB 2.0 host(HS), 1x USB 2.0 host (FS)
- Serial – 1x UART (RXD,TXD,RTS,CTS), 1x I2C, 1x SPI bus 1 with 2 chip select (5 to 50 MHz)
- 4x PWM
- 4x 10-bit A/D converters
- 1-wire bus
- 5V, 3.3V, GND, VBATT signals
- Header for Wi-Fi module
- Power – Single 3.3 Volt DC, Line levels: TTL 3.3V (NOT 5V tolerant)
- Dimensions – 25x51mm
- Temperature range – -20 +70 °C (Operating)
Since this is early stage of development, no documentation is available, but we do have some informations about Aria G25 support. You can build the latest Linux kernel (3.12.8 release, or 3.13r8) for the board, lots of tutorials are provided, including one explaining how to create an Embedded Debian Grip 7.2 image. The board is not open source hardware, but the company provides some hardware documentation. Finally, support is available via Google Groups.
If you’ve been using a Raspberry Pi, or BeagleBone Black for your headless embedded project, but do not need much processing power, and/or need lower power consumption, Arietta G25 could be an option to consider.
The only problem is that you’ll need to wait a little while, because the module will only ship in June 2014. The price will be 9.99 Euros for orders made before May 2014, and after the board will sell for a regular price of 19.98 Euros. The board will show up on Acme Systems eShop when it becomes available.
Further information is available on the blog of one of Acme Systems’ owners (Roberto Asquini).
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|