After many delays, even rumors that Tizen was dead, Samsung has finally announced the very first commercially available smartphone running Tizen mobile operating system with the Samsung Z, right before the Tizen Developer Conference which will take place in San Francisco, on June 2-4, 2014.
Let’s go through the hardware specs first:
- SoC – Qualcomm SnapDragon 800 quad core application processor @ 2.3GHz
- System Memory – 2GB RAM
- Storage – 16 GB flash + micro SD card slot (Up to 64GB)
- Display – 4.8” HD Super AMOLED (1280 x 720)
- Camera – 8MP(rear), 2.1MP (front)
- Cellular Network – LTE Cat.4 (150/50Mbps)
- Connectivity – WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n HT40, MIMO(2×2), Bluetooth 4.0 BLE, NFC, GPS / GLONAS
- USB – micro USB 2.0
- Misc – IR sensor
- Sensors – Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, Hall, RGB ambient light, fingerprint scanner, heart rate sensor
- Battery – 2600mAh
- Dimensions – 138.2 x 69.8 x 8.5mm
- Weight – 136g
Samsung Z will run Tizen 2.2.1, and have some usual feature from Samsung such as Ultra Power Saving Mode, Download Booster, S Health 3.0, and color theme customization. The company claims Tizen delivers a “fast, optimal performance with improved memory management”, including faster boot time, and multi-tasking capabilities.
It will be interesting to see the performance difference, if any, between Android and Tizen, and how many applications will be installable via the Tizen store when it opens. The company will try to bring developers to the platform via a soon-to-be-announced “special promotional program” that will last one year, so there may be more apps than expected at launch.
The device is scheduled for Q3 in Russia, with plans to expand to other markets later on. Further information may be available on Samzung Z product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|