After the Samsung Galaxy Gear, Samsung has introduced two new smartwatches, Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo, droppping the Galaxy brand in the process, most probably because these two happen to run Tizen, instead of Android found in the Galaxy gear. The Gear 2 has a camera which is missing in the Gear 2 Neo. Other specifications and features are more or less the same.
Samsung Gear 2 Product Specifications:
- SoC – Dual Core Processor @ 1.0 GHz (Exynos 4?)
- System Memory – 512MB
- Storage – 4GB Internal Memory
- Display – 1.63” Super AMOLED (320 x 320)
- Connectivity – Bluetooth 4.0 LE, IrLED
- Gear 2 – 2.0 Megapixel Auto Focus (1920×1080, 1080×1080, 1280×960)
- Gear 2 Neo – N/A
- Video – Codecs: H.264, H.263, Container Formats: 3GP, MP4. HD(720p, @30fps) Playback & Recording
- Audio – Codecs: MP3/AAC/AMR/Vorbis, Format: MP3, M4A, AAC, OGG. Noise Cancellation
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Heart Rate
- IP Rating – IP67 Certified Dust and Water Resistant
- Battery – 300mAh Li Ion, typical usage: 2~3 days, low usage: up to 6 days
- Gear 2 : 36.9 x 58.4x 10.0 mm, 68g
- Gear 2 Neo : 37.9 x 58.8 x 10.0mm, 55g
The watch will act as a smartphone companion via Bluetooth, and you’ll also be able to use it as a remote control for consumer electronics thanks to its IrLED and WatchON Remote app. Beside basic features such as a Bluetooth call, camera, notification(SMS, E-mail, Apps), stopwatch…, you’ll be able to download a few extra apps like a calculator and flashlight app. The watches will also come with several fitness features, namely, an heart rate sensor, a pedometer, exercise app (Running. Walking, Cycling, or Hiking modes), and a downloadable “Sleep & Stress” app. There also a music player with support for Bluetooth headset, so you don’t need your smartphone to listen to music.
Pricing has not been disclosed, but we do know Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo will be available in April.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.