Tivo has unveiled their Mega DVR for people who have some serious TV recording needs, as it can record 24 TB of data, the equivalent of over 26,000 hours of SD TV (That’s about 3 years!), and 6 tuners to record multiple programs simultaneously. Users will also be able to stream live TV or recordings to their smartphones and tablets, and download programs for offline playback.
- Storage – 24 Terabyte RAID 5 HDD
- Six tuners
- Streaming live and recorded TV to smartphones and tablets anywhere: Built-in stream transcoding
- Multi-room – Whole home capable
- 26,000 hours of SD recording space, approximately 4,000 hours of HD recording space
- Content navigation:
- Universal search across cable, video-on-demand and web apps including Netflix and YouTube
- “What to Watch” provides a personalized dashboard with recommendations for what’s on now, next and tonight
- Collections offers editorial collections based on current events or categories including new fall TV, Shark Week, Holiday, Emmy or Oscar winners, etc.
- Channel guide with filters to enable users to get to what they want as quickly as possible
- Free application for smartphones and tablets: manage your DVR with your phone or tablet through remote Season Pass management, a recording scheduler that allows you to add or remove recordings and enhanced WishList management
- Remote: TiVo Slide Pro Remote included, Full QWERTY-format slide out keyboard makes text entry fast and easy and RF signal for maximum power removes line-of-sight requirements
- Networking – Ethernet and MoCA
- Hardware configuration – Hot user-swappable drives, offering protection from data loss
Beside a voracious appetite for watching TV programs, you’ll also need some “spare” cash, as the unit is expected to sell for about $5,000 when it is launched in Q1 2015. In the meantime, Tivo Mega DVR will be showcased at CEDIA EXPO 2014 on September 11-13 in Denver, Colorado, USA. If you want be notified when the product launches, you can register on Tivo Mega DVR page.