SGET (Standardization Group for Embedded Technologies) had previously released system-on-module standards such as Qseven and SMARC. The group has now published the new “embedded NUC” (eNUC) standard around NUC (Next Unit of Computing) developed by Intel, that defines mechanical and basic technical parameters for multifunctional, small sized and cost effective embedded computer boards.
- PCB outline & PCB mounting concept – 10.16 x 10.16 cm (4 x 4 “) board. Other dimensions as shown above. PCB and connectors height are also defined, respectively with 18.6 mm and 24.25 mm maximum heights.
Predefined Board Types with minimum interface and feature set:
- Type 1 (Basic) – At least 1x LAN, 2x USB. and an external single power connector. Recommended features include video out (HDMI, DP,…), 1x SATA, 1xSD slot, audio interfaces, mini PCIe, etc…
- Type 2 (Connectivity) – At least 2x LAN, 2x USB, 1x mini PCIe and/or mSATA expansion, 2x UART or COM port, and an external single power connector. Recommended features include video out (HDMI, DP,…), 1x SATA,.1x SD slot, 2x extra USB ports, 1x audio interface, mini PCIe, etc…
- Predefined connector areas
- Single voltage power supply – 18…24V±20% DC
- Minimum environmental conditions – Standard Temperature Range: 0..60°C; Extended Temperature Range: -40…85°C.
Five years of product lifetime after launch, and extended temperature are not compulsory but recommended for all eNUC boards. The embedded NUC form factor does not provide limitation regarding the use of future architectures, features and interfaces. Housing specifications are not defined in this document, but SGET plans to specify different housing types for embedded NUC in the future.
embedded NUC standard version 1.00 is available on SGET website (PDF). I found out about this new standard via F&S Electronik Systeme newsletters, which plans to release an embedded NUC board powered by Freescale i.MX6 processor, so it’s not only for Intel platforms.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|