Last year, Amazon launched the Amazon Fire TV box based on a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor for $100. The company has recently introduced an upgraded model powered by Mediatek MT8173 quad core processor (2x Cortex A72, 2x Cortex A53), and with support for 4K videos, while keeping the same price tag.
- SoC – Mediatek MT8173 quad core processor with 2x ARM Cortex A72 cores @ 2.0 GHz and two ARM Cortex A53 cores @ 1.6 Ghz, and a PowerVR GX6250 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB
- Storage – 8GB internal storage + micro SD slot up to 128GB
- Video Output – HDMI up to 2160p30, 108060, 720p60. HDMI CEC and HDCP 2.2 support
- Video Codecs – H.265, H.264
- Audio Support
- Codecs – AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC)
- Dolby Audio, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch stereo, and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.1 LE with support for HID 1.0 , SPP 1.2, HOGP 1.0, GATT, A2DP 1.2, and AVRCP 1.0
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port
- Power Supply – TBD
- Dimensions – 115 mm x 115 mm x 17.8 mm
- Weight – 270 g
The device will run Fire OS 5 based on Android 5.1, and including its own voice assistant: Alexa. Amazon Fire TV will ship with Amazon Fire TV Voice Remote, a power adapter, two AAA batteries and a Quick Start Guide. There’s also a Gaming Edition which replaces Fire TV Voice Remote by Fire TV game controller, and adds a 32GB microSD card, as well as Shovel Knight and Disney’s DuckTales games.
Amazon Fire TV 2015 can be purchased on Amazon US for $99.99, while Amazon Fire TV Gaming Edition goes for $139.99, and the products are scheduled to ship on October 5. The remote control and game controller can also be bought separately for respectively $29.99 and $49.99.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|