Mediatek MT8173 first showed up in the Linux kernel as a quad core Cortex A57 / A53 processor, but now that Mediatek has officially announced the processor, it turns out the Cortex A57 cores are actually the new Cortex A72 cores, with a similar architecture, but more powerful, about 1.8 times faster.
- Processor – Heterogeneous 64-bit Multi-Core big.LITTLE architecture up to 2.4GHz featuring ARM Cortex-A72 and ARM Cortex-A53 64-bit CPU. Big cores and LITTLE cores can run at full speed at the same time for peak performance requirement
- GPU – Imagination PowerVR GX6250 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 3.1, OpenCL. Performance: 350Mtri/s and 2.8 Gpix/s.
- Display Support
- WQXGA display (2560×1600) up to 60 Hz with TV-grade picture quality enhancement. Up to 120 Hz mobile display for other resolutions.
- HDMI and Miracast support for multi-screen applications
- Video – Ultra HD 30fps H.264/HEVC(10-bit)/VP9 hardware video playback
- Camera – 20MP camera ISP with video face beautify and LOMO effects
- Security hardware accelerator – Supports Widevine Level 1, Miracast with HDCP; HDCP 2.2 for premium video to 4k TV display
Tablets based on MT8173 processor should hit the shelves in H2 2015. MT8173 is being showcased at Mobile World Congress 2015 in Barcelona, Spain at MediaTek’s booth – Hall 6, Stand 6E21.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|