ARBOR technology has introduced Gladius GT-500 “5” Rugged Android Handheld Device” running Android 5.1 on MediaTek MT6735 quad core processor, with LTE connectivity, IP67 rated, and featuring a build-in 1D/2D barcode reader with physical trigger buttons.
Gladius GT-500 smartphone specifications:
- SoC – Mediatek MT6735 quad core Cortex A53 processor @ 1.3 GHz with ARM Mali-T720 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB LPDDR2
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash + 1x micro SD slot up to 32GB
- Display – 5″ TFTP LCD; 1280×720 resolution; 5-point glove-friendly projector capacitive touch screen; 400 cd/m2 brightness
- Cellular Connectivity
- 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE (Band 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900)
- 3G WCDMA (Band 1,2,5,8)
- 3G CDMA2000 (BC0/BC1)
- 4G FDD+TDD (Band 1,3,5,7,8,20,38,39,40,41)
- 4G DRX (Band 1,3,5,7,8,20,38,39,40,41)
- SIM Sockets – 1 x micro-SIM (3FF) socket supporting 2G/3G/LTE; 1 x micro-SIM (3FF) socket supporting 2G only
- Other Connectivity – Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.1 (BLE, HS compliant), NFC, and GPS/GNSS/Beidou
- Camera – 13MP rear camera with auto-focus & flashlight, 2.0MP front-facing camera
- Audio – 3.5mm headphone jack, microphone and speaker, FM radio
- USB – 1x micro USB 2.0 OTG port
- Sensors – Gyroscope, barometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, magnetometer (M-Sensor/E-Compass), accelerometer (G-sensor)
- Misc – Optional 1D/2D barcode reader with physical trigger buttons
- Battery – 4,800 mAh Lithium-ion rechargeable and customer replaceable battery
- Dimensions – 85 x 165.8 x 23.1 mm
- Weight – < 385 grams with battery
- IP Rating – IP67, up to 1.5m drop resistance
- Temperature Range – Operating: -10°C ~ 50°C; Storage: -20°C ~ 60°C
- Relative Humidity – 5~95%
It ships with a micro USB port, a pre-installed battery, and a user’s manual by default, and a universal 5Vpower adapter, a hand strap, a 4-in-1 battery charger, and a desktop cradle are available as options. Two models are available: Gladius GT-500 without barcode reader, and GT-500-2D with the barcode scanner. The handheld device targets “mission-critical” applications in logistics, retail and public safety sectors.
ARBOR Gladius GT-500 appears to be available now at an undisclosed price. Check out the product page for a few more details.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
6 Replies to “Gladius GT-500 Rugged Android Smartphone Features a Built-in Barcode Reader, LTE Connectivity”
Do you think there is any chance about GPL compliance ? (i.e. that this manufacturer will publish kernel source code, which is necessary to ensure long-term support and security fixes. I am usually pessimistic with MTK phones…).
Android 5.1 => does it mean it might be vulnerable to the stagefright security exploit ? (I recently got a xiaomi redmi 3, and despite it is a new phone, it is running android 5.1 and I can confirm it is vulnerable ! And since xiaomi did not publish any GPL source code for this phone, I have no solution but wait/hope that xiaomi will fix this soon…).
The phone targets a niche market from a medium-size company, so I guess the chances of GPL compliances are close to zero.
Mediatek is actually slowly but surely adding support to mainline kernel for some of their MT6xxx and MT8xxx processors.
Why does it need a barcode reader if it has a camera?
I think it’s much faster than using the camera.
Any news about price & shipping?
Not yet. A few websites list the product.
That one: http://www.ingramt.com/Arbor-Gladius-GT-500-s/2103.htm says “The price will be listed on this page when the tablet is available to ship.”