Samsung has announced that Gear S2 classic 3G smartwatch would be first device in the market to be equipped with a GSMA compliant eSIM (Embedded SIM) The round watch is also powered by a dual core processor coupled with 512MB RAM and 4GB flash to run Tizen based wearable platform.
- SoC – Dual core processor @ 1.0 GHz
- System Memory – 512MB
- Storage – 4GB RAM
- Display – 1.2” circular super AMOLED display, 360×360 resolution, 302ppi
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n/e, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, 3G/4G (HSPA+ voice and data networks)
- Audio Codec – MP3/AAC/AAC+/eAAC+
- Audio Format – MP3, M4A, AAC, OGG
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Heart Rate, Ambient Light, Barometer
- Dimension – 44.0 x 46.9 x 13.4 (54g)
- Battery – 300mAh Li-ion; Wireless Charging; 2~3days on a charge
- IP Rating – IP68 Certified Dust and Water Resistant
The watch will run Tizen, and include a whole bunch of pre-installed apps including Contacts, Notifications, Messages, Email, Preset text, S Health, Nike+ Running
Maps & Navigation, Weather, Music Player, Gallery, and more others.
This is all good, but what is an e-SIM? First it stands for embedded SIM, meaning it’s not simply the usual card that you can insert or remove from your phone, but it’s a chip soldered on the board. Does that mean you can’t change mobile operator? Actually you can because it supports remote provisioning. The concept was actually initiated for M2M / IoT application, as imagine you’ve got 100,000 “things” connected to cellular network, and for whatever reason you’d like to change mobile operator, you’d have to pay several people to replace all the SIM cards. With remote provisioning of eSIMs this can happen with one mouse click.
Back to the watch… Samsung Gear S2 classic 3G/4G will be available on March 11 onwards at a price that has yet to be disclosed.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
One Reply to “Samsung Gear S2 Classic 3G Smartwatch Features an eSIM for Cellular Connectivity, Runs Tizen”
Thanks but not thanks. I’m thinking of getting the original Samsung Gear S because I just love that display and the features it has.
I’ve not interest in getting the Gear S2 though, it’s just a regular round screen watch and the screen in tiny.