In most conference, you’ll wear a badge showing your name, job description and company, but with the price of electronics going down, it may be time for a conference badge upgrade. SHA2017 is a non-profit outdoor hacker camp taking place in The Netherlands in 2017 on August 4 – 8, and the organizers are planning to use a special badge comprised of Espressif ESP32 processor, and an e-Paper Display.
SHA2017 Badge specifications:
- Wireless Module – Espressif ESP32 based ESP-WROOM-32 module with WiFi and Bluetooth
- Display – 2.9″ e-paper display (296×128)
- Storage – micro SD slot
- Expansion – 12-pin expansion header with GPIOs, I2C, 3.3V, GND
- Debugging – micro USB port + USB->TTL chip for programming
- Misc – Direction keys, select, start, A and B buttons for input; 6x RGB, LEDs; pager motor for notifications
- Battery – Battery sized to last at least a day
Beside your name and company details, the badge could also be used for weather and timetable information. EAGLE files and firmware can be found on Github with more details also available in the Wiki. The price of the badge is still expected to be around 20 Euros, and they are looking for sponsors. If you’d like that badge and attend the conference, you’ll need a 250 Euros ticket for the 5-day event.
Thanks to Zoobab for the tip.