What we used to call phablet – smartphones with 5″ to 6″ display – are now simply called smartphones, as most companies now offer smartphones with larger displays since they are better suited for tasks like web browsing.
Unihertz has gone the other way by launching Atom, an Android 8.1 smartphone with a tiny 2.4″ display. Demand does exist for such Phone, as while the Kickstarter campaign started a couple of days ago, the company has already raised close to $700,000 from around 3,000 backers.
The “Atom” name clearly infringes on Intel’s trademark, so the model name is likely to change in a few days as has happened for “Atomwear” and “Nerdonic Atom X1“, but this did not affect the campaigns after they changed the names.
Unihertz Atom smartphone specifications:
- SoC- Unnamed octa-core processor clocked at up to 2.0 GHz
- System Memory – 4GB RAM
- Storage – 64GB internal storage
- Display – 2.45″ 240×432 pixels TFT LCD with Gorilla Glass
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack, speaker, microphone
- Cameras – 16MP rear camera and 8MP front-facing camera
- Cellular Connectivity
- Dual Nano SIM card slot
- GSM – Band 2/3/5/8
- WCDMA – Band 1/2/4/5/8
- TDSCDMA – Band 34/39
- FDD-LTE – Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/19/20/25/26/28A/28B
- TDD-LTE – Band 34/38/39/40/41
- CDMA2000 – BC0/BC1
- Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, GPS and GLONASS, FM radio
- USB – 1x USB type C port
- Sensors- Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity, ambient light, and compass
- Misc – Power button, volume buttons, PTT push-to-talk button
- Battery – 2,000mAh battery
- Dimensions – 96 x 45 x 18mm
- Weight – 108 grams
- IP Rating – IP68 dust and water resistant rating
If you watch the promo video below, you’ll also find out it’s apparently especially suited to beautiful people…
Interested? Pledges start at $219 with the “Kickstarter VIP – Atom” reward for one phone, but you may consider adding $12, $13 and/or $15 for respectively the lip, armband and/or bike mount. Other rewards are actually the same but for packs of the phone from 2 to 10. Shipping is free to the US, Europe and Japan, but adds $20 to the rest of the world. Delivery is planned for October 2018.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
6 Replies to “Unihertz Atom is an Android 8.1 Phone with a Tiny 2.4″ Display (Crowdfunding)”
I struggle to see the point of some of their choices. Sure, it’s waterproof, etc, etc.
But how does it make sense to have a super-powerful Octa-Core, 4GB RAM configuration in a device with such a small screen? You certainly won’t be playing games on that, or doing much of anything other than perhaps playing music, doing minimal surfing/twitter, etc.
It seems massively overspecc’d internally for its external interfaces.
I tottaly agree with you, I myself would love to buy a small and lighweight phone (< 100g.), with half of the specs this one has, for half of the price.
Considering that Intel have gave up on the Atom as a platform…
I think Intel would be surprised to hear that considering they release new Atoms every year.
The video says 64 gigaBIT storage….
I am looking for a fantastic device like this in India. Eagerly waiting.