At first glance, Kittenbot Meowbit gaming console looks like a kid’s toy, but it’s bit more than that as its STM32 MCU can be programmed with MakeCode arcade, Scratch3.0 based Kittenblock, or MicroPython, and features the same edge connector as found in BBC Micro:bit board, and as such is compatible with several Micro:bit accessories.
- MCU – STMicro STM32F401RET6 Arm Cortex M4 micro-controller
- 2MB SPI flash to store Unicode character table (default)
- SD card slot to store programs or extend wireless modules
- Display – 160 x 128 full-color TFT LCD
- Sensor – Light sensor, temperature sensor, MP6050 gyroscope
- USB – 1x micro USB port for power and programming
- Expansion – 40-pin BBC Micro:bit “goldfinger” connector
- Misc – Charging/work LED, 2x user LED, power switch, reset button, DFU mode button, 4x direction buttons, A/B buttons, buzzer, multiplayer connector (15)
- Power Supply – 5V via USB, or 3.7~4.2V via a Lithium battery pack; output current: 500mA (max); operating voltage: 3.3V
- Dimensions – 52 x 76 x 12 mm
At first I found the name to be too complicated, so nobody would remember it, but it makes sense that Kittenbot would make a “meow”bit board, and if you pronounce Micro:bit repeatedly and fast enough it may turn out to sound just like Meowbit… 🙂
You’ll find download links for the software tools in Kittenbot website, and Meowbit tutorials in Github. Most resources are in Chinese for the latter, but you can go to the “en” to access some basic English documentation.
The Meowbit ships with the silicone sleeve shown in the top photo, and can currently be purchased for $34.90 on Seeed Studio. However, the company also recommends the $19.90 RoboBit Robot expansion board for Micro:bit which adds a 18650 battery socket, 4-channel DC motor/2-channel stepper motor control, an 8-channel servo port, four RGB pixels and more.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|