SoliRun has made good use of its i.MX 8M Mini SoM which – as its name does not imply – comes with both an NXP i.MX 8M Mini processor and Gyrfalcon Lightspeeur 2803S AI accelerator, and can now be found in HummingBoard Ripple SBC part of the new HummingBoard-M family and based on a cost-reduced version of HummingBoard Pulse baseboard which we covered in 2018.
Note that HummingBoard Ripple board is also available with the earlier SoliRun i.MX 8M module, and comes with up to 4GB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, Micro HDMI. Compared to HummingBoard Pulse SBC, it does without MIPI-DSI nor digital audio, and removing one Gigabit Ethernet port, and one MIPI-CSI connector.
HummingBoard Ripple SBC specifications:
- SOM Model
- NXP i.MX8M dual-/quad-core Arm Cortex A53 processor up to 1.5GHz with Arm M4 MCU core
- NXP i.MX8M Mini single to quad-core Arm Cortex A53 processor up to 1.8GHz with Arm M4 MCU core and optional Gyrfalcon Lightspeeur 2803S artificial intelligence accelerator
- Memory – Up to 4GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 8GB+ eMMC flash
- Connectivity – optional WiFi/Bt module
- Storage – MicroSD socket
- Video Output – Micro HDMI port
- Camera – 1x MIPI CSI connector
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45) port;
- USB – 2 x USB 3.0 (but only USB 2.0 supported when using i.MX8M Mini SoC), Micro USB port
- Mini PCIe socket + SIM card slot
- M.2 socket (not listed/documented in specs)
- MikroBus click interface
- Misc – Reset button, configurable push button, 3 x LED indicators, RTC
- Power Supply – 7V – 36V wide range; PoE sink support
- Dimensions – board: 102mm x 69mm; optional extruded aluminum (IP32) enclosure: 141.5 x 78 x 30mm
- Temperature Range
- Commercial – Ambient temp.: 0°C to 70°C; enclosed ambient temp.: 0°C to 40°C
- Industrial – Ambient temp.: -40°C to 85°C; enclosed ambient temp.: -25°C to 65°C
- Humidity (non-condensing) – 10% – 90%
The board support Linux and Gyrfalcon NPU SDK allows you to work with TensorFlow, Caffe, and PyTorch AI frameworks. Hardware design files and documentation to get started are available on the developer website.
HummingBoard Ripple ships with a heatsink or an enclosure (somehow we were unable to find any photos of the aluminum enclosure), as well as optional 12V/1.5A power adapter and 16GB Micro SD card.
HummingBoard Pulse is available now with pricing starting a $170 for an NXP i.MX 8M Mini module without AI accelerator, 2GB RAM, and 8GB eMMC flash. If you’d like a version with Lightspeeur 2803 AI accelerator, pricing starts at $202. Further information may be found on HummingBoard-M product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|