ACTAMID M8S is a palm-sized 3.4-inch mini PC powered by an Intel Pentium N6005 Jasper Lake processor with up to 16GB LPDDR4 memory, 1TB M.2 2242 SSD. The M8S is bigger than the recently announced 2.7-inch PIX NII mini PC based on the same processor, but that’s for a good reason since it offers more ports with three HDMI outputs, dual Gigabit Ethernet, and three USB 3.0 ports.
The mini PC also features WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.2 wireless connectivity, a quiet fan, and a 7-color LED backlight for good effects… Win Element Technology Co., Ltd, the Hong Kong company owning the ACTAMID brand, says the mini PC ships preinstalled with an activated version of Windows 11, but also supports Linux distributions such as Ubuntu 20.04.
ACTAMID M8S specifications:
- SoC – Intel Pentium N6005 quad-core processor @ 2.0GHz / 3.3GHz (Turbo) with Intel UHD graphics @ up to 900 MHz; 10W TDP
- System Memory – 8GB or 16GB LPDDR4 RAM (single-channel)
- Storage – NVMe SSD with 128GB to 1TB capacity
- Video Output – 3x HDMI 2.0 ports up to 4Kp60
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack, digital audio via HDMI ports
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 ports
- 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.2 via Intel AX201 module
- USB – 3x USB 3.0 ports
- Misc – Power button, 7-color RGB strip, quiet silent fan + heatsink
- Power Supply – 12V/3A USB Type-C power supply (They also write PD30W, which I understand as “USB PD”, but that may not be the case as other similar mini PCs ship with a 12V (fixed voltage) power supply non-compliant with USB PD)
- Dimensions – 8.6 x 8.6 x 3.8 cm (3.4 x 3.4 x 1.5 inch)
- Weight – About 240 grams
The color of the LED can be adjusted in the BIOS, or if you’re not a fan of this feature it can also be disabled. Single-channel memory means the system may not perform at its maximum for workload requiring a high memory bandwidth such as gaming, but it will not matter for most other tasks.
The ACTAMID M8S ships with a VESA mount and screws, an HDMI cable, a power supply with US, EU, UK, or AU plug, and a specification sheet. Three models are offered:
- 8GB RAM/128GB SSD – $239
- 16GB RAM/256GB SSD – $289
- 16GB RAM/1TB SSD – $370
ACTAMID M8S has been on Kickstarter for a few weeks and raised about $23,000 so far with 15 days to go. Shipping adds $30 worldwide, and backers should expect their perk(s) to ship in September 2022 right after the crowdfunding campaign is over. Eventually, the mini PC should show up on the ACTAMID shop and they sell some earlier models there.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.