Home > AMLogic, Linux, Programming > AMLogic Releases U-Boot and Updated Linux Kernel Source Code

AMLogic Releases U-Boot and Updated Linux Kernel Source Code

November 22nd, 2012 Leave a comment Go to comments

AMLogic released kernel 3.0.8 source code for AML8726-MX a few months ago, and yesterday they provided an updated tarballs with the kernel, and for the first time, AFAIK, released the source code for U-Boot.

There are 4 new files apparently generated from the (internal) git repository in AMLogic:

• common-2012-11-20-git-b687495906.tar.gz  (108M) – This is the same kernel 3.0.8 release has last time, but with updated code.
  • m1-kernel-android-2012-11-20-git-5d0f6b8e93.tar.gz (103M) – This looks like an older kernel 2.6 for AML8726-M1 only.
  • uboot-master-2012-11-20-git-9b50e9a295.tar.gz (16M) – U-Boot 2010.06 possibly to use with the older 2.6 kernel. Only for M1 & M3 platforms.
  • uboot-next-2012-11-20-git-b0e532795a.tar.gz (40M) – U-Boot 2011.03 for use with M3 and M6 platforms.

I’ve already explained how to build the kernel in the previous post, so I’ll focus on U-Boot this time.

Ubuntu 12.04 arm-linux-gnueabi- toolchain fails to build U-Boot (uboot-next), so you’ll have to install Sourcery toolchain instead:

tar xjvf arm-2010q1-188-arm-none-eabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2

You’ll also need the ARC toolchain, and you’ll have to build it from source (Unless you still use Ubuntu 9.04) since there are no binary packages. First download the source code:

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/arc-linux/files/ARC%20GNU%20Toolchain/ARC%20GNU%204.4/arc_gcc_rel4.4.tar.gz/download -O arc_gcc_rel4.4.tar.gz
tar xzvf arc_gcc_rel4.4.tar.gz
cd arc_gcc_rel4.4

Install some dependencies:

sudo apt-get install libgmp-dev  libmpfr-dev

Build the ARC elf32 toolchain:

export ARC_GNU=~/edev/amlogic/arc_gcc_rel4.4
export INSTALLDIR=~/edev/amlogic/arc-4.4-elf32
export DISABLE_MULTILIB=--enable-multilib
./build-elf32.sh --force

Where ARC_GNU is the path where you extract the ARC toolchain source code, and INSTALLDIR your chosen installation directory. After a while, the ARC toolchain should be installed in ~/edev/amlogic/arc-4.4-elf32 (INSTALLDIR). Add both Sourcery and ARC elf32toolchains to your path:

export PATH=$PATH:~/edev/amlogic/arm-2010q1/bin:~/edev/amlogic/arc-4.4-elf32/bin

Extract the source code, and get a list of supported platform:

tar xzvf uboot-next-2012-11-20-git-b0e532795a.tar.gz
cd uboot-next
ls board/amlogic
boards.cfg  m3_wa_ref_v1  m6_skt_v1         Mesonboard_AML8726-M_V1.1
configs     m6_ref_v1     m6tv_skt_v1       Readme.mk
m3_skt_v1   m6_ref_v2     mbox_8626m1_v1.0

The listed directories correspond to the list of supported platforms. I used uboot-next in the example above, but the method is the same for uboot-master. I haven’t looked into the details and differences of each platform.

Finally select one platform to start the build, for example:

make m6_ref_v2

After a few minutes, U-Boot binary should be in build/u-boot.bin. To find out how to use it with the board, further reading in Amlogic U-Boot page should be helpful.

Via: J1nx Hackable Gadgets

1. Craig
    November 25th, 2012 at 02:39 | #1

Nice write up. Would be really good if you could take it a step further with running linaro armhf though!

If you want to borrow a m3 stick contact me i’ll send you mine

2. I-Catch
  3. Gabe
    November 26th, 2012 at 01:01 | #3

Hama said they will release GPL source code for Hama Internet TV Box 2 soon.

4. November 26th, 2012 at 10:01 | #4

@Craig
    Thanks, but I suppose we live in different countries so borrowing the stick might not be ideal. I think I might be able to get a MX stick once it is available.

5. December 8th, 2012 at 00:55 | #5

Would you be kind and show me some “startup” info on the process of installing it?

6. December 8th, 2012 at 08:54 | #6

@Technobuddha
    I wish I knew. I’ve just gotten a stick this week, and this is on my list of things to do. But I may not start until next year. In the meantime, I’d look on pivos forums and check the progress on j1nx.nl.

7. tarowar
    December 10th, 2012 at 05:32 | #7

Hello, why i need for compilation process Arc_gcc toolchain, is it for VPU?

8. December 10th, 2012 at 09:05 | #8

@tarowar
    I should have checked why… But I did not. I just know it would not build without arcgcc.

9. tarowar
    December 13th, 2012 at 03:41 | #9

I hope that Amlogic will publish video driver source.

10. Morchus
    April 6th, 2013 at 09:30 | #10

Hmm….

Seems like amlogic removed the sources from openlinux.amlogic.com. Or atleast it is not “open” anymore.

wget http://openlinux.amlogic.com/download/linux/ARM/gnutools/arm-2010q1-188-arm-none-eabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2 wont work anymore.

Do we have these sources uploaded somewhere?

Morchus

11. April 6th, 2013 at 09:41 | #11

@Morchus
    That one is the CodeSoucery toolchain which you can also download at http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/

However, they updated http://openlinux.amlogic.com/, so the linux stuff are gone. But check my previous post (http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/08/18/amlogic-releases-aml8726-mx-linux-3-0-8-source-code/) with the links to github.

12. Danny
    November 6th, 2013 at 17:03 | #12
  13. Danny
  14. Paul
    October 20th, 2014 at 04:47 | #14

> Hello, why i need for compilation process Arc_gcc toolchain, is it for VPU?

Here’s some hints: http://www.design-reuse.com/news/3453/amlogic-arc-soc-ip-technology-single-chip-progressive-scan-dvd-controller.html “Amlogic selects ARC’s industry leading SoC IP technology for single-chip progressive scan DVD controller”

So, there’re 2 choices: 1) ARC is just stale historical dependency from 10 years ago; or 2) their video decoding cores are indeed built on ARC architecture and may need some init code or something.

1. March 10th, 2014 at 12:40 | #1