Mozilla Unveils Firefox OS Developer Preview Phones
Mozilla has just announced an entry level developer phone for Firefox OS based on a Qualcomm Snapdragon S1 processor, 512 MB RAM, and 4GB Flash. You may think the specs are quite poor, but this actually makes sense since Firefox OS is initially destined at emerging markets.
Here are the full specifications of this smartphone (Codenamed Keon):
- CPU – Qualcomm Snapdragon S1 1Ghz
- System Memory – 512 MB RAM
- Storage – 4GB Flash + microSD slot
- Display – 3.5″ HVGA Multitouch
- Network – UMTS 2100/1900/900 (3G HSPA), GSM 850/900/1800/1900 (2G EDGE)
- Camera – 3 MP rear camera
- Misc – Wifi N, Light and proxmity Sensor, G-Sensor, GPS, MicroUSB
- Battery – 1580 mAh
The phone supports over the air updates, and comes unlocked, so you can simply add your own SIM card. These developer phones are being developed by Geeksphone in partnership with Telefonica.
A faster smartphone is also in the work as Liliputing also reports that:
Geeksphone says there’s also a second model called the Peak which will feature a 4.3 inch, 960 x 540 pixel display, a more powerful 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual-core processor, an 8MB rear camera, 512MB of RAM, and an 1800 mAh battery.
Both Keon and Peak preview phones should be available to developers from February. Mozilla also announced Firefox OS App Days that take place in over 20 locations around the world to promote the platform and help developers getting started with Firefox OS.