Juice Extreme 2 Android TV Home Gateway Features 4 DVB Tuners for Multiscreen Support
Antik Technology, a Slovakia based company, has developed a Android set-top-box powered by STMicro StiH416 SoC. I wrote about the StiH416 development platform previously, and although it’s just a dual core Cortex A9 SoC, its video capabilities are impressive as it supports multiple simultaneous video decoding streams. The set-top box called Juice Extreme 2 leverages those capabilities with 4 DVB tuners (DVB-T or DVB-S2) that provide four different streams, and transcode them, to all video playback devices around your home such as TV, PC, tablet and smartphones, or record them to an internal SATA drive.
JUICE EXTREME 2 key features:
- SoC – STMicro STiH416 (Orly) dual core Cortex A9 @ 1.2 GHz + ARM Mali 400MP4 GPU
- System Memory – 2 GB DDR3
- Storage – 1 GB Flash + internal SATA connector + SD card slot
- Quadruple DVB Tunner
- CVBS/Y Pb Pr (3.5mm jack)
- Tuner board connector
- RF IN/OUT (for DVB-S2)
- Codecs – MPEG-2 (SD/HD) MP@HL, H.264/AVC (SD/HD) [email protected] up to 1080p/50, 1080p60
- Parallel decoding of two streams (one for output, second for recording)
- Resolution – PAL 576i, NTSC 480i, HD 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- Interfaces – TOSLINK Digital Audio optical,L/R analogue stereo output through 3.5 mm jack
- Codecs – MPEG-1/2 (layers 1, 2, 3), PCM, AC-3, AAC,Dolby Digital Plus
- Dual mono mode, Stereo down mixing
- Other Interfaces:
- 2x 1GB Ethernet RJ 45
- SATA internal for PVR HDD
- 3x USB 2.0 (1x front and 1x back panel)
- IR receiver
- Built-in WIFI
- Power Adapter – 90-250V/50-60Hz AC / Output: 12V
- Power Consumption – 12W (without HDD, USB and DVB)
- Dimensions – 200mm x 150mm x 40mm
- Weight – 540g
The device runs Android 4.0 / Linux 2.6, and is said to support XBMC, as well as several optional software packages or features such as Copy Protection HDCP v 1.2, Opera, Access, Ekioh SVG integrated, ANTIK Built-in Middleware or Beenius 3.2 Middleware. It also comes with DRM/CA mechanisms including Verimatrix, Securemedia and Key Rider.
Antik Technology can also provide optional accessories for resellers: a remote control, an RCA/SCART cable, an Ethernet Cable, an HDMI cable, a full size compact keyboard and Juice TV Anywhere Personal H.264 transcoder.
Linuxgizmos reports the company does not sell to end-users directly but relies on service providers, and for example, one of their German customer “plans to use the device as DTH+Terrestrial+IP MultiScreen Home Gateway, using their own Android middleware”.
Further information is available on Antik’s Extreme Juice 2 page.