Nokia Launches Nokia X Android Phones with Microsoft Services
After months of speculations and leaks, Nokia has formally announced Nokia X family of Android phones that instead of coming with Google services, comes with Microsoft services and user interface, as well as Nokia apps. Three phones has been announced, namely NokiaX, Nokia+ and NokiaXL.
- SoC – Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual core @ 1 GHz
- System Memory – 512 MB RAM (Nokia X), or 768 MB RAM (Nokia X+/XL)
- Storage – 4GB NAND flash + micro SD card up to 32 GB
- Nokia X/X+ – 4″ IPS LCD touch screen – WVGA (800 x 480)
- Nokia XL – 5″ IPS LCD touch screen – WVGA (800 x 480)
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0 + HS
- Cellular Networking – GSM: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz, WCDMA: 900 MHz, 2100 MHz. Dual (micro) SIM card slots.
- Nokia X/X+ – 3MP (2048×1536) fixed focus
- Nokia XL – 5MP (2592×1944) auto focus
- Nokia X/X+ – 1500 mAh battery. Maximum standby time with dual SIM: 17 days, Maximum talk time (2G): 13.3 h, Maximum talk time (3G): 10.5 h, Maximum music playback time: 26 h
- Nokia XL – 2000 mAh battery. Maximum standby time with dual SIM: 30 days, Maximum talk time (2G): 16 h, Maximum talk time (3G): 13 h, Maximum music playback time: 37 h
- Nokia X and Nokia X+ – 115.5 mm x 63 mm x 10.4 mm
- Nokia XL - 141.4 mm x 77.7 mm x 10.9 mm
- Weight – Nokia X/X+: 128.7 g, Nokia XL: 190g
The phones run Android 4.1.2 AOSP, with Nokia X software platform 1.0, and the company claims 75% of Android apps are currently compatible. For obvious reasons, it won’t ship with Google services (Google Play, Google Maps…), but instead use Nokia store, Microsoft services, and things like Nokia’s @here maps. The user’s interface just looks like Windows Phones of Lumia family.
From the specifications, it’s clear Nokia aims at the low-end of the market, and Nokia X will sell for 89 Euros. You can find further details on Nokia X page.
If you are a developer for Android app, the good news is that you app may just work. You can check this by downloading apks to Android app compability analyzer. I’ve checked with one apk I had on hand, and I’m glad to announce Flappy Bird is apparently compatible with Nokia X!
If you app happens to be incompatible, visit Nokia X developer for information and download links the tools to modify your Android app, or create new Nokia X apps.
Nokia X promo video:
You can also watch the recording of Nokia’s press conference at Mobile World Congress 2014.