Archos has just released a firmware update for Gen8 Devices with Android 2.2.1.
This will be faster and more responsive, but you’ll have to wait a bit longer for flash support since they need the flash plugin to be certified.
If you already installed Google MarketPlace on your Archos device, you might need to wait for a new gApps4Archos.apk file or follow the instructions here, install the new version for Android 2.2. The file name is now gApps4Archos2.apk.
Here are the features of this firmware update (2.0.54):
1. New Features of Android 2.2.1
- Higher performance: Just In Time compiler (JIT technology), makes applications run up to 5 times faster than previous 2.1 Eclair (firmware 1.0.84).
- Enhanced Microsoft® Exchange support: it is now possible to synchronise contacts and calendar events.
- Allow to install more 3rd party applications by installing them on the internal storage memory (for applications that support it).
- New widgets: home screen “tips widget” providing some helpful information.
- Easier access to the four side screens
2. Special ARCHOS Features
- Video: Movie information and cover retrieval in video file info dialog
- Multiple selection mode is now always enabled in the file manager.
- External Bluetooth GPS receivers are now supported.
- Better assistance is provided in the tethering wizard to pair with cell phone using Bluetooth DUN profile (smart APN detection).
- OpenVPN is now supported.
- Slideshow support for network shares has been added to Gallery and Photoframe applications.
- Manual white balance setting has been added in Camera application.
- Faster USB write transfer.
3. Flash® 10.1 compatibility
- This firmware is compatible with Flash® 10.1 but does not include the Flash® plug-in.
- Distribution of the Flash® plug-in requires a certification by Adobe®.
- Flash® plug-in will be available after the certification process is completed.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
3 Replies to “Android 2.2 is now available for Archos 28/32/43/70/101 Internet Tablet”
New firmware for Archos 28/32/43/70/101 Internet Tablets Version 2.0.71
Changelog – Version 2.0.71 – December 16th, 2010
* Wi-Fi: fix Wi-Fi stuck after a while when using WPA2/AES encryption mode
* Wi-Fi: fix cannot connect on channels above 11 due to wrong default regulation domain
* Power management: for A43/A70/A101 add a setting in about device to allow 3 levels of power management. Overdrive that allows CPU max frequency to be 1GHz with ondemand governor, optimal that brings CPU max frequency to 800MHz with ondemand governor and powersave that set CPU max frequency to 800MHz with conservative governor
* Indexing: faster rescan is now achieved at USB disconnect
* Storage: SDCard now supports NTFS (read only) and EXT3
* Storage: fix sdcard not recognized sometimes when swapping different cards brands
* Video: fix subtitles on A101
* Network shares: enhance scanning speed
* Network shares: handle the case where a server shares are not visible if not authenticated
* Network shares: allow in wireless settings to define manually a server authentication details
* Network shares: reload samba and UPnP services when switching between access points without disconnecting
* Audio: a silent mode (Global Mute) has been enabled in the power button menu. It will impact all streams except alarms in case one select alarms sound always on in alarm settings
* Application: appslib is now reinstalled after an Android device reset
* Application: fix quadrant CPU benchmark
* Power: fix shutdown sometimes happening on short power button press
* Internationalization: support for Korean codepage tags and subtitles
* Multimedia: use smaller memory footprint for decoding H264 SD
* Memory management: achieve more progressive kill in low memory situation
* Boot: fix deadlock happening sometimes preventing device to complete boot
New firmware for Archos 28/32/43/70/101 Internet Tablets Version 2.1.3
Changelog – Version 2.1.3 – January 27th, 2011
Video: fix some audio glitches after seeking WMA files
Video: add support for MTS files
Video: bring UTF-8 and UTF-16 encoded subtitles format support
Video: fix SUB subtitles sometimes truncated
Video: add IDX/SUB subtitle handling
Video: fix http://.*mpeg playback
Video: support resume and bookmark for network shares
Video: fix some FLV files not playing
Youtube: fix mobile site video not playing
Multimedia: fix RTSP support for Android applications
Multimedia: fix some web radio applications by adding basic M3U support
Audio: apply shorter steps in audio balance tuning
Audio: fix sound glitch on system notification while playing music
Music browser: fix album view crash on scroll with a lot of albums
Music: support samba protected directory access
Thumbnails: resolve thumbs generation freeze
Indexing: improve rescan robustness
Indexing: fix scanning not restarting after connecting device on PC or ejecting SDCard
Network shares: large files (>2GB) can now be played
Wi-Fi: fix disabling power saving not working
Wi-Fi: enable IEEE802.11n support
Wi-Fi: achieve faster reconnection
SDCard: fix sdcard removal not being taken into account
Storage: enable EXT3 filesystem support and migration
USB keyboard: fix external directional keys layout when rotating the device
Memory: enable 32MB swap by default and increase it to 64MB after Android reset or full device reformat
Applications: fix applications disappearing sometimes between reboots
Applications: fix unit not responsive after Google voicesearch use
Power management: allow to define deep sleep mode by default in settings/about device/power management
VPN: PPTP VPN support has been fixed
New firmware for Archos 28/32/43/70/101 Internet Tablets Version 2.1.8
Changelog – Version 2.1.8 – February 16th, 2011
External keyboard layouts: various country layouts are now supported using Settings > Language and keyboard > Select external keyboard layout setting (qwerty us/uk, azerty french, qwertz deutch, latin america spanish, russian, japanese).
Proxy: http proxy settings have been enabled for the browser in Settings > Wireless & network > wifi proxy settings.
Network shares: introduce an option to enable/disable network share scanning per Wi-Fi Access Point in Wi-Fi authentication dialog box
Battery: improve robustness of battery charge status for hard drive based A70it
Sound: fix sound level saturation causing loss of audio when playing on speaker
Music: fix some MP3 files have bad sound after seeking
Video: make some high level H264 HD files play correctly
Video: fix black screen on video player resume from suspend for MPEG4 files
USB host: fix NTFS UTF8 support
Wi-Fi: fix network disabled occurring after several suspend/resume loops
Wi-Fi: prevent false state information reported when authenticating/enabling Wi-Fi
Multimedia library: avoid deletion of multimedia files happening sometimes on SDCard