Here’s how Ziilabs describes their new dual core processor aimed at tablets running Android honeycomb:
The ZMS-20 has been engineered for high-resolution tablet computing and combines ZiiLABS’ StemCell media processing array with dual 1.5GHz ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore processors (with Neon) to deliver stunning 1080p high profile video playback, immersive OpenGL ES 2.0 3D graphics, HD video calling and a rich desktop browsing experience including Adobe Flash Player.
With multi-core application acceleration and dynamic power management for longer battery life the ZMS-20 delivers the efficient, high-performance platform required for the next generation of devices, including Android 3.0 based tablets.
ZMS-20 Key Features:
- Dual 1.5GHz ARM Cortex A9 cores with Neon
- ZiiLABS flexible Stemcell media processing capabilities
- Low-energy SIMD architecture for high performance media acceleration
- 48 x 32-bit floating point media processing cores for 26GFlops of compute
- High Profile H.264 video playback at 1080p@30fps
- Wide range of accelerated video codecs including H.264, VC1 and VP8
- High Definition, low latency video conferencing
- Optimised OpenGL ES 2.0 for robust 3D graphics acceleration and application compatibility
- Accelerated OpenCL 1.1 (desktop profile) integrated into Android NDK
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) Image Processing
- High-quality Text-to-Speech and Voice Recognition
- 150 MPixel/sec image processing
- Adobe Flash 10 acceleration
- Integrated HDM1 1.4 with 3D stereo support
- 1GB addressable memory
- DDR2/3 at 533 MHz for low-cost
- LPDDR2 for maximum memory bandwidth and low-power
- 64-bit wide memory bus
- Quad independent video controllers supporting 24-bit displays and cameras
- 3V3 and 1V8 I/O’s reduce peripheral power consumption
- Dual USB 2.0 HS OTG (Host/Peripheral) controllers with PHY for low system cost
- Three independent SDIO/MMC controllers
- Extended battery life with robust Dynamic Power Management and Instantaneous On
- Xtreme Fidelity X-Fi audio effects
- Enhanced Security: 256-bit AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) and TrustZone
The ZMS-20 will be showcased at Computex (Taipei – 31 May – 4 June 2011) in Android 3.0 tablets and the processor will be available in Q3 2011.
Watch the ZMS-20 introductin by Ziilabs’ CEO.
Ziilabs also announced the ZMS-40 a quad-core Cortex A9 processor with 96 stem cells delivering the power of 100 cores which availability has not been announced.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.