Variscite – an Israeli company specialized in embedded systems manufacturing, development and consulting – announced the VAR-SOM-OM44 system on module (SOM) based on TI OMAP4460 processor (dual core Cortex-A9 cores @ 1.2 ~ 1.5GHz). This SOM features 512MB of DDR2 SDRAM and a microSD socket, I/O including gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0, 3D camera, and HDMI. Variscite also announced the VAR-OM44CustomBoard, a development board that can be customized to match specific customers requirement as well as the VAR-DVK-OM44, a complete development kit with touchscreen for evaluation and application development purposes.
Here are the VAR-SOM-OM44 SOM specifications:
- CPU: Texas Instruments OMAP4460 Processor (1.2GHz – 1.5GHz) dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore
- GPU: PowerVR™ SGX540 graphics core @384MHz
- Memory: 512-1024MB 400MHz LPDDR2
- Built-In micro-SD Socket
- LCD interface – Supporting 24bpp resolutions up to WXGA
- HDMI interface – Supporting 1080p
- 4-wire touch screen panel interface
- Stereo Headphone out
- Digital microphone
- S/PDIF Out
- 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet controller
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth V2.1 + EDR
- Expansion: 3 x SD / MMC / SDIO interfaces
- USB: 2 x HS USB 2.0 Host |HS USB 2.0 OTG
- Camera Interface:
- 2 x CSI
- 20MP main camera,12 MP stereo (dual cameras)
- Serial Interfaces:
- SPI interface
- I2C interface
- 1 Wire/ HDQ
- 3 x UARTS, up to 3.6 Mbps
- Power: Single 3.3 DC-IN power supply
- Mechanical Specifications:
- Interface : SODIMM 200 universal connector
- Dimensions (W x L x H) : 38.5mm x 67.8mm x 3.7mm
Android 2.3.5 (gingerbread) and Linux Kernel 2.6.35 (Ubuntu Maverick). Variscite SOM uses OpenEmbedded build system.
VAR-SOM-OM44 can be inserted into VAR-OM44CustomBoard as shown in the picture below.
The main features of the development board include 2 HDMI output, 1 GBit Ethernet port, 2 USB host ports, an USB OTG port, an SD Card slot as well as SPDIF and stereo audio (in/out) jacks. The VAR-DVK-OM44 devkit add support for another Ethernet port (via SPI), mini-AB USD connector, a camera sensor, touchscreen interface, a serial interface and LVDS video output.
The VAR-SOM-OM44 module and corresponding devkits will be available for order this month. There is no mention of the prices right now, but I guess it will be affordable as they previously made another SOM based on TI Sitara AM3517 and AM3505 (VAR-SOM-AM35) that can be purchased for 49 USD.
You can also get the technicals details (e.g. Building Instructions) for Android 2.3 on VAR-SOM-OM4460.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|