ST Microelectonics promote their Cortex-M series at ARM Techcon 2011 and especially the new STM32F4 series the most powerful cortex M4 MCUs.
They also showcase a low cost development board called STM32F4-Discovery that they give away at the exhibition and that can be bought online for 14.90USD from distributors.
The evaluation board is based on the STM32F407VGT6 and includes an ST-LINK/V2 embedded debug tool, two ST MEMS, digital accelerometer and digital microphone, one audio DAC with integrated class D speaker driver, LEDs and push buttons and an USB OTG micro-AB connector.
A large number of free ready-to-run application firmware examples are available in the STM32F4-Discovery board firmware package to support quick evaluation and development.
- STM32F407VGT6 microcontroller featuring 32-bit ARM Cortex-M4F core, 1 MB Flash, 192 KB RAM in an LQFP100 package
- On-board ST-LINK/V2 with selection mode switch to use the kit as a standalone ST-LINK/V2 (with SWD connector for programming and debugging)
- Board power supply: through USB bus or from an external 5 V supply voltage
- External application power supply: 3 V and 5 V
- LIS302DL, ST MEMS motion sensor, 3-axis digital output accelerometer
- MP45DT02, ST MEMS audio sensor, omni-directional digital microphone
- CS43L22, audio DAC with integrated class D speaker driver
- Eight LEDs:
- LD1 (red/green) for USB communication
- LD2 (red) for 3.3 V power on
- Four user LEDs, LD3 (orange), LD4 (green), LD5 (red) and LD6 (blue)
- 2 USB OTG LEDs LD7 (green) VBus and LD8 (red) over-current
- Two push buttons (user and reset)
- USB OTG FS with micro-AB connector
- Extension header for all LQFP100 I/Os for quick connection to prototyping board and easy probing
STM also made available the product brief, application notes, datasheets, technical notes and user manuals on STM32F4-Discovery page.
You can watch Stuart McLaren (Micro-controller Group at STM) interview at ARM Techcon 2011 below to know more about STM32F4 series, see the STM32F4-Discovery kit and learn how STM does in the MCU market.