SYSGO, a software company for the real-time and embedded markets, has announced the release of ELinOS 5.2, an Industrial Grade Linux distribution, updated to kernel 3.2 and with new features related to scheduling, memory management, file systems, networking and security.
The new 5.2 version brings the following improvements:
- Integration of new kernel 3.2 to support new features and availability of previous versions of kernels 2.6.33 and 2.6.34, to respond to customers demand.
- Real-time extension based on Open Source Automation Development Lab (OSADL) implementation (PREEMPT RT) especially designed and tested for industrial needs.
- Support for latest embedded CPUs including Intel, Freescale QorIQ, ARM Cortex, TI OMAP 4, Freescale i.MX6 and MIPS.
- SMP (Symmetric multiprocessing) support on all multi-core platforms.
- QEMU simulator supported for all architectures.
- New functionality support in areas of graphics (i.e. AMD Llano Fusion APUs), Wi-Fi (i.e. Intel iwlwifi 105 and 135), SATA (i.e. Intel C600 serial-attached-scsi controller), USB 3.0 (i.e. Ralink RT5370 USB), networking (i.e. several Realtek RTL81xx devices)
- More recent versions of various tools such as Busybox, DirectFB, X11, GTK, QT, ntfs-3g, coreutils, ffmpeg, jamvm, openssh, openssl, sqlite, upstart, wireless_tools
- New kernel features:
- Btrfs faster data scrubbing and automatic defragmentation, unprivileged ICMP_ECHO, wake on WLAN
- Performance improvements to the writeback throttling, speedups in the slab allocator, a new iSCSI implementation, support for Near-Field Communication chips used to enable mobile payments, bad block management in the generic software RAID layer, file system barriers enabled by default in ext3
- Support for ext4 block sizes bigger than 4KB and up to 1MB, automatic backup of critical filesystem metadata and tools for manual inspection of the filesystems, support to set upper limits of CPU time, updated TCP that speeds up the recovery of the connection after lost packets
- New support in the profiling tool “perf top” for live inspection of tasks and libraries and see the annotated assembly code
- New support in Device Mapper for ‘thin provisioning’ of storage
- Miscellaneous features such as Ext4 SMP scalability, IPset, Pstore: storing crash information across a reboot, complete remove of the “Big Kernel Lock”, automatic process grouping, I/O throttling support, support for PPP over Ipv4, KMS+KDB integration, Intel Intelligent Power Sharing support, improved VM-related desktop responsiveness, transparent spreading of incoming network traffic load across CPUs, memory compaction, ACPI Platform Error Interface support
ELinOS Industrial Grade Linux contains development tools needed for embedded Linux within one package: compiler, linker and debugger as well as Codeo, an Eclipse based integrated development environment, and ELK, a graphical system configurator. ELinOS is a cross development platform for either Linux or Windows host.
ELinOS 5.2 is available now and supports x86, x86_64, PowerPC, ARM, SPARC V8 and MIPS32 architectures. You can access the list of supported BSP for details about supported boards.
This operating systems supports features needed for industrial automation such as CAN, VME, IPv6, USB 3.0, EtherCAT (upon request)…
The way I understand it Sysgo ELinOS is open source the same way MontaVista Linux is open source, and you have to pay a “support fee” (not sure of the exact name) before accessing the binaries, tools and source code. But the company has an interesting initiative, as you can testdrive ELinOS by connecting to Online Demo server connected to a real target board, using VNC.
You can find more information on ELinOS page.
Via: Embedded Star