Most of set-top boxes come with a casing with a rectangular shape. But some designs are more original: spaceship-like, spherical, or even in the shape of a pyramid. We’ve now got another option with IPPLI Mars i8, a media player based on Rockchip RK3188, that comes with a cylindrical enclosure.
Here are the technical specifications of the device:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3188 quad core Cortex A9 @ 1.6 GHz + Mali-400MP4
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB NAND Flash + microSD slot (Up to 32GB)
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n with external Wi-Fi antenna.
- Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- 10/100M Ethernet
- Video Output – HDMI v1.4 up to 1080p
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical audio, and 3.5mm jack
- Camera – 2.0MP with microphone
- USB – 2 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x Mini USB (OTG)
- Dimensions – 8.5 cm x 8.5 cm x 13.0 cm
- Weight – 252 g
Mars i8 comes with an AC power adapter, a USB cable (80cm), an HDMI cable (23cm), a user’s manual, an external Wi-Fi antenna, and an infrared remote control. The device runs Android 4.2.2.
IPPLI Mars i8 currently available from DealExtreme for $91.30 including shipping, as well as GeekBuying. It looks very similar to, but cheaper than, Jesurun Q8 (~$105) and MK Z1 (~$117).
Thanks to Connolly for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
2 Replies to “$91 IPPLI Mars i8 is a Cylinder Shaped STB Based on Rockchip RK3188”
More original? It looks like they are copying the new Mac Pro. I guess they are the first to do it though…
Whether they copied or not, it’s still a terrible design after all.