A couple of week ago Geniatech released the source for XBMC for Android, and today I’ve been informed they’ve released an XBMC Linux image for their media players based on AMLogic AML8726-MX dual core Cortex A9 SoC, just a few days after the release of MX Linux v1.00 RC1 working for MX2REF, G18REF and g02refDongle (These are not product names, but board codes that can also be found in ro.product.device or ro.product.board in build.prop of Android firmware).
You can download MX_BOX-Linux_XBMC20131205.zip which is said to contain the XBMC Linux image for ATV1200, ATV520, ATV400, ATV360, etc… However, it’s said not to work for HDMI dongles such as ATV120, contrary to MX Linux. I haven’t been able to download the file within a reasonable amount of time, so I haven’t been able to check the content, and installation instructions. An anonymous source told me it was likely Geniatech just took the community released sources to adapt to their hardware, and may not have complied with the GPL requirements.
XBMC Forum member gboijhpok reported that 1080p videos played smoothly, and that SAMBA, Airplay, and Add-ons installation all worked. Geniatech IR and RF remote controls also function properly. However, Geniatech release is still alpha and there are quite a few known bugs:
- Failure to enter into system sometimes requires to power cycle the device
- The physical power button does not work
- RMBV videos are not supported
- Remote issues:
- Some buttons do not work such as Home or Menu.
- RF remote and USB keyboard/mouse incompatibilities
- Manual overscan adjustment may be required
- In screen protection setting, only DIM works properly, and if other options are selected, you’ll get a get black screen requiring a restart.
If you want to revert to Android 4.1, follow the instructions below:
- Download update_stvmx_20130805_eng.zip and HowToRevertToBox4.1.zip
- Unzip HowToRevertToBox4.1.zip, but not update_stvmx_20130805_eng.zip
- Copy the following files to an SD card directory: factory_update_param.aml, factory_update_param.ubt, spi_MX.bin, uImage_recovery, and update_stvmx_20130805_eng.zip
- Press and hold the upgrade button, and power the device
- Keep holding the button for about 10 seconds, and release it.
- There won’t be any display for around 2 minutes, then the upgrading screen will appear
- The box will automatically reboot to Android upon completion
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|