Back in April, AllWinner announced partnerships with Linksprite and CubieTech for respectively PcDuino 8 and Cubieboard 8 development boards to feature AllWinner A80 octa core ARM Cortex 15/A7 big.little SoC. However, at the time all we got was some photo-shopped pictures of older versions of the boards with an A80 processor pasted by graphics designers. Some pictures of Cubieboard 8 have now surfaced, and they are clear enough so that we can start to get most of the specs.
Here are Cubieboard 8 specifications derived from the pictures (incomplete because we don’t have pictures of the back of the board):
- SoC – AllWinner A80 octa core big.LITTLE processor with 4 ARM Cortex A15 cores, 4 Cortex A7 cores, and Imagination PowerVR G6200 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3 (4x SKhynix H5TQ4G83AFR – 4Gbit RAM chips) – TBC in case they’ve added more RAM chips at the back, unlikely IMHO.
- Storage – TBD (At the back?) + SD Card slot
- Video Output – HDMI and VGA
- Audio I/O – HDMI, Line In, Line Out, and optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6330 module)
- USB – 4x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x Micro-B USB 3.0 port
- Debugging – UART close to VGA port (TBC)
- Expansion Header – 20 pin header
- Misc – RTC battery slot, 2 LEDs, 3 push buttons
- Power – Round DC power jack (5V?)
That’s about all we know for now. AllWinner announced support for Android, Chrome OS (Chromium OS?), Ubuntu, Firefox OS, and Windows RT, so hopefully most will also be available with the board expect probably Windows RT, and possibly Chrome OS. Price and availability are unknown, but since AllWinner A80 MP is supposed to start this month, and in a previous interview, a $100 price target had been talked about, I’m really expecting the board to be available for around $100 by the end of this month.
Thanks to Jibril!
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|