We’ve seen several Rockchip RK3366 TV boxes being announced recently such as Eny EKB368 or Beelink i68, and it’s no surprise that Tronmart decided to launch their own model Orion R68 based on the latest Rockchip processor.
Two models are available: Orion R68 Meta with 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, GbE, and 802.11 ac WiFi, and Orion R68 Pro with 1GB RAM, 8GB eMMC, Fast Ethernet, and 2.4 GHz 802.11n WiFi. The latter appears to be the same Beelink i68 TV Box going for $66.
Tronsmart Orion R68 specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3368 octa core Cortex A53 processor @ 1.5 GHz with PowerVR G6110 GPU
- System Memory- 1 GB DDR3 (Pro); 2GB DDR3 (Meta)
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash (Pro); 16GB eMMC flash (Meta); SD card slot up to 64GB for both models
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60Hz
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical S/PDIF
- Pro – 10/100M Ethernet, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n (AP6212 module), Bluetooth 4.0
- Meta – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 a/b/g/n + 802.11ac (AP6335 module), Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x micro USB OTG port
- Misc – Power button, IR receiver, update button
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 12.0 x 12.0 x 2.4 cm
Orion R68 Meta normally sells for $99.99, and Orion R68 Pro for $74.99, but Tronsmart and GeekBuying have organized a promotion, where you can get the box for up to half price either:
- Random draw for 10%, 20%, 30% or 50% coupon
- 50% coupon for people already owning a Tronsmart device. All you need to do is post a picture of your device on twitter or Facebook, and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The promotion should still be going on, since it’s scheduled to run until July 23, but they’ve sold the first 500 pieces, and I’ve noticed the random draw does not work right now, but you can still try your luck to get a coupon if your own an older Tronsmart TV box.
Thanks to Jake for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
16 Replies to “Tronsmart Orion R68 64-bit ARM TV Box Sells for Up to 50% Discount”
It seems pretty easy to get 50% in the ‘random draw’ (+ you can use disposable email addresses)
1. CNX-Soft, could you please verify whether the rk3368 supports 10 bit (main10) HEVC? because there are contradicting answers for this, from various sources.
2. what WiFi does it have: 802.11ac or just dual band (it’s not the same…) ? (the specifications page is not consistent…)
3. generally speaking: if I connect a DVB-T2 micro USB OTG dongle, which is made for android, to an android box, would it operate perfectly? (it should, but this option is not spoken upon almost completely – and I wonder why).
for example – the Geniatech MyGica PT360:
unfortunately, this only model that I’ve found, can apparently operate only in android 4 and not 5 (some of the sellers at aliexpress mention that, but some write “android 4.1 or above”. but all of the sellers refer to the same model – pt360!)…
another option is TeVii T820 – but it’s hard to buy online:
4. the problem with this Tronsmart model is that the USB OTG port is too close to the USB port – so when connecting a tuner to the OTG port, the USB port next to it would get blocked! (because OTG tuners are wide and not long)
5. Tronsmart should have provided a picture of the remote
6. pity that there is no analog AV output.
7. pity that almost no chip supports VP9 – YouTube’s video codec
“generally speaking: if I connect a DVB-T2 micro USB OTG dongle, which is made for android, to an android box, would it operate perfectly?”
Good question! Does something like this:
Kodi for Android
cord-cutting paradise (with minimal hacking)?
I’ll start reviewing boxes again in August, which should answer most of your questions.
For the DVB dongle, the right drivers need to be enabled that these to work.
First batch sold out. More may come.
For the wifi : the ampak ap6330 chip is dual band but not AC (I bought one thinking AC will work …)
the ap6335 is announced AC up to 433Mbps according to the datasheet : http://www.t-firefly.com/download/firefly-rk3288/hardware/AP6335%20datasheet_V1.3_02102014.pdf
I do not prefer to buy products of tronsmart. Plesea see freekboard.c om or there own forum how bad the support for tronsmart meta is….
Buy nvidia or another products with good sw support
There is an inconsistency as the R68 meta product page at Tronsmart shows support for Gigabit LAN, but the units sold (at Gearbest for instance) only include 100M LAN. I sent them a question regarding this.
A few days ago, Tronsmart wanted to send me a sample for review, but they told me the first samples only come with Fast Ethernet, and that Gigabit Ethernet will only be in products sold at the end of August…
New 102L1 firmware. Changelog:
1. Fixed no video stream of netflix.
2. Exchange media gallery to ffmpeg.so, Optimized 4k/iso/dolby&dts
4. Fixed crash when plug/unplug OTG cable.
Well, I got the device. Unfortunately, it has some major issues:
– so DTS passtrough via HDMI and SPDIF, so my 5.1 system is useless – MAJOR problem
– random video stuttering with Kodi
– audio stuttering randomly
– cannot shutdown the device from its software power off icon, it just displays forever “Shutting down”
I’ve been delaying the review as an OTA is coming soon with:
They also recommended me to use the pre-installed Kodi 14.2, rather than Kodi 15 from Google Play.
Too late for me now 🙂 I mean switching to 14.2 … I was thinking about a downgrade, but there are rumors from Geekbuy about Tronsmart working on a new firmware for the DTS problem
New firmware for Gigabit Ethernet version. Available via OTA.
This is the newest firmware for Tronsmart Orion R68 (Gigabit Version).
If OTA is not working, you can find the firmware file download link @ http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2015/10/16/orion-r68-new-firmware-gigabit-version_151012/