Qualcomm has recently announced two references platforms for ODM/OEM powered by Snapdragon 820 processor for 4K Ultra HD media boxes and all-in-one virtual reality headsets.
Qualcomm Snapdragon VR820 VR headset comes with the following key features and specifications:
- SoC – Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 quad core Kryo processor with Adreno 530 GPU
- System Memory – Go figure
- Storage – Only god knows
- Display – 1440×1440 resolution per eye, AMOLED panel that supports up to 70Hz
- Audio – 4x microphones with Fluence HD noise filtering and active noise cancellation
- Video – 360° 4K video playback processing with HEVC compression and display refresh rates at 70 FPS
- Cameras – Integrated eye tracking with two cameras, dual front facing cameras for six degrees of freedom (6DOF)
- Sensors – gyro, accelerometer, and magnetometer sensors
The reference platform, developed in collaboration with Goertek, leverages Qualcomm’s Virtual Reality SDK, and is expected to be available in Q4 2016 to manufacturers, with retail products likely showing up sometimes in 2017. More details may be available in the press release.
We don’t have that many details for the TV box reference platform, but the company still made it clear it is based on Snapdragon 820 processor, and designed for fanless small form factor 4K Ultra HD media boxes with support for Gigabit Ethernet and 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth Smart connectivity from Qualcomm.
The 4K Ultra HD media box reference platform from Qualcomm Technologies is available now, with commercial devices expected to be available by the end of 2016. A few more details may be found in the press release, which also covers QCA9379 combo chip with support for dual-stream Wi-Fi 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.2.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.