Google used to collaborate with smartphone manufacturers for their Nexus devices, but the company is now promoting their own Pixel brand, and has just launched Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor, and running Android 7.0 Nougat operating system.
- SoC – Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 (MSM8996 pro AB) Quad core Kryo processor with two cores at up to 2.15GHz, two cores at up to 1.6GHz, Adreno 530 GPU
- System Memory – 4GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 32 or 128 GB storage
- Pixel – 5.0″ FHD (1920×1080) AMOLED display; 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- Pixel XL – 5.5″ QHD (2560×1440) AMOLED display; 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- 12.3 MP rear camera (IMX378 sensor) with laser and phase detection auto focus (LDAF + PDAF), f/2.0 aperture
- 8 MP front-facing camera (IMX179 sensor) with fixed focus, f/2.4 aperture
- Video recording support – 720p @ 30/60/240fps, 1080p @ 30/60/120fps, 4K @ 30 fps
- Cellular Connectivity
- Single SIM
- Supports up to CAT 11 (600Mbps DL / 75Mbps UL) depending upon carrier coverage and carrier rollouts:
- Telstra – CAT11 (600Mbps DL / 75Mbps UL)
- All others – CAT 9 (450Mbps DL / 50 Mbps)
- Quad-band GSM, UMTS/WCDMA, CDMA, FDD LTE, and TDD LTE support
- Connectivity – WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, NFC
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack, single bottom-firing speaker, 3 microphones, noise suppression.
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 type C port
- Sensors – Proximity/ALS, accelerometer / gyrometer, magnetometer, pixel imprint (Back-mounted fingerprint sensor for fast unlocking), barometer, hall sensor, sensor hub: CHRE V2 with GPS/Wi-Fi/BT, advanced x-axis haptics for sharper/defined response
- Pixel – 2,770 mAh battery good for up to 19 days standby (LTE), 26 hours talk time, and 13 hours Internet use
- Pixel XL – 3,450 mAh battery good for up to 23 days standby (LTE), 32 hours talk time, and 14 hours Internet use
- Fast charging: up to 7 hours of use from only 15 minutes of charging thanks to USB PD support
- Dimensions & Weight
- Pixel – 143.8 x 69.5 x 7.3 ~ 8.5 mm | TBD
- Pixel XL – 154.7 x 75.7 x 7.3 ~ 8.5 mm | TBD
The phones will ship with a USB-C 18W adaptor with USB-PD, and A-C cable (USB 3.0), a C-C cable (USB 2.0), a SIM tool, a quick switch adapter, and in box promos and collateral. Pixel phones will run Android 7.0, are compatible with Google’s Daydream VR platform, and include the new improved Google Assistant, successor of “OK Google”.
Pixel is available for pre-order for $649 (32GB) $749 (128GB) and Pixel XL for $769 (32GB) $869 (128GB) in the U.S., U.K., Canada, Germany and Australia with pre-orders in India to begin on October 13. More details can be found on Made by Google phone page scheduled to launch in October & November in several countries.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.