After NXP bought Freescale, you had development tools for Freescale Kinetis MCUs such as Design Studio or Kenetis SDK, and others such as LPCXpresso for NXP LPC microcontrollers. The company has worked to unifying software and tools support between its ARM Cortex-M MCU families, and has now announced MCUXPresso software and tools for both NXP Kinetis and LPC MCUs.
MCUXpresso unifies thousands of Kinetis and LPC microcontrollers under a set of compatible tools including
- MCUXpresso SDK – Open-source software MISRA-compliant development kit (SDK) with peripherals drivers, wireless & wired connectivity stacks, middleware, real-time OS, getting started guides, API documentation, and application examples.
- MCUXpresso IDE – Integrated development environment (IDE) for editing, compiling and debugging. It also integrates MCU-specific debugging views, code trace and profiling, multicore debugging, etc… Both free and professional edition of the IDE will be available, and LPCXpressor and previously Freescale Freedom & Tower platforms will be supported.
- MCUXpresso config tools:
- An SDK Builder enabling custom-built SDKs for specific MCUs or evaluation boards.
- A graphical pins tool to assist with routing of internal signals to external pins, and generates ANSI-C source for the MCUXpresso SDK environment.
- A clocks tool with a graphical representation of the MCU clock tree system, interactive user controls, and assistance with system fine-tuning.
- A power estimation tool to allow application modeling and assessment of power consumption under user-defined parameters.
The MCUXpresso SDK and config tools will be available around the middle of next month, and beside built-in support for the MCUXpresso IDE, the SDK can also work with IAR Embedded Workbench, ARM Keil MDK, Atollic TrueSTUDIO, SOMNIUM DRT, and others. That’s not a bad thing since MCUXpresso IDE will only be released in March 2017.
You’ll find many more details, and download links for the SDK on MCUXpresso page.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|