Today I received Banana Pi BPI-M2 Ultra board together with Allwinner catalog. As I flicked through it, I discovered new Allwinner B-Series ARM Cortex A7 processors (B188 and B288) designed for e-readers, as well as Allwinner G-Series ARM Cortex A7 processors (G102 and G202) targeting the WiFi speaker market, now dominated by products like Amazon Echo or Google Home (in the US).
Allwinner G202 specifications:
- CPU – Dual core ARM Cortex A7 processor
- Memory I/F – DDR2/DDR3/DDR3L SDRAM
- Storage I/F – eMMC 5.0, SD 2.0 compliant
- 24-bit/192 Khz audio playback
- 2x I2S/PCM interfaces up to 384 KHz sample rate, and 16 channel TDM with 32bit sample resolution
- DSD (Direct Stream Digital) interface with 2 channels,64/128/256bit sample mode
- DMIC (Digital Microphone) interface with 8 channels, maximum 48KHz sample rate
- S/PDIF OUT interface
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n WiFi with WPS, WPA/WPA2 security
- Other interfaces – USB 2.0 OTG, UART, SPI, TWI
- Package – FBGA 236 balls, 11 x 11 mm, 0.65 pitch
The company provides Linux 3.10 and Android 4.4 operating systems for the processor. It has indeed all the interface you’d expect from a voice activated home assistant with support for microphone arrays, allegedly good quality audio output, and WiFi.
I don’t have the full details for Allwinner G102 specifications, but based on the catalog, the main specifications are very similar, but it adds an RGB LCD display interface, resulting in a bigger FBGA 335 balls package.
Beside G-Series, Allwinner also recommend R16 processor for WiFi speakers, as well as older F-Series processor. Allwinner R16 is actually used in DingDong LLSS-A1 WiFi speaker shown in the top picture for illustration. You may find more details in Allwinner G202 product brief.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|