It’s quite easy to find smartphone with some level of dust and waterproofness, with many premium smartphone coming with IP67 or IP68 ingress protection rating, and if you search for IP67 / IP68 smartphones on Aliexpress, you’ll get a long list.
Now replace smartphone by tablet, you’ll get a much shorter list, and most are rugged tablets. Huawei has just unveiled Honor Waterplay, that looks more like a normal tablet, and as it’s named implied is waterproof with an IP67 rating.
Huawei Honor WaterPlay “HDN-W09 (WiFi)” & “HDN-L09 (LTE)” tablets specifications:
- SoC – Hisilicon/Huawei Kirin 659 octa-core processor with 4x ARM Cortex A53 @ up to 2.36 GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ up to 1.7 GHz, ARM Mali-T830 MP2 GPU @ 900 MHz
- System Memory + Storage
- HDN-W09 – 3 to 4GB LPDDR3 + 32 to 64 GB eMMC 5.1 flash, micro SD slot up to 256GB
- HDN-L09 – 4GB LPDDR3 + 64 GB eMMC 5.1 flash, micro SD slot up to 256GB
- Display – 10.1″ touch screen IPS display with 1920×1200 resolution
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack, speaker, microphone
- Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi, GPS
- Cellular Connectivity (HDN-L09 only)
- 4G（TD-LTE）/4G（TD-LTE/LTE FDD）/4G（TD-LTE/LTE FDD）
- 3G（TD-SCDMA）/3G（WCDMA）/ 3G（CDMA）
- Nano SIM card slot
- Camera – 8MP front-facing camera, 8MP rear camera with auto focus
- USB – 1x USB type C port
- Sensors – Gyro, compass, gravity sensor
- Battery – 6,660 mAh (typ.)
- Power Supply – 9V/2A
- Dimensions – 248 x 173 x 7.8 mm
- Weight – 465 grams
- IP Rating – IP67
The tablet runs Android 7.0 with EMUI 5.1 user interface.
Huawei Honor Waterplay has WiFi and LTE models. but there are three variants available with the phone being launched in China:
- 3GB RAM, 32GB flash, WiFi for CNY 1,999 (~$303)
- 4GB RAM, 64GB flash, WiFi for CNY 2,399 (~$363)
- 4GB RAM, 64GB flash, LTE for CNY 2,699 (~$409).
Pre-orders started on Vmall, with the official launch slated for October 24. I’m pretty sure it will soon show up on Aliexpress, GearBest, and other Chinese online store for gloval availability.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.