Nearly exactly two years ago, Samsung unveiled S3FBP5A bio-processor for fitness tracking wearables with five analog frontends measuring PPG, ECG,skin temperature, BIA, and GSR data, and that is (or was?) expected in the company’s S-Patch3 health tracker.
Mediatek has now come up with something with similar functionalities, but instead of being a standalone bio-processor for wearables, Sensio MT6381 biosensor module is designed as a companion chip for smartphones, and capable for delivering 6 different types of heart and fitness data in about 60 seconds.
MediaTek Sensio key features and specifications:
- Integrated R and IR LEDs for reflective PPG measurement + 1-channel ECG analog front-end
- Health Data
- Heart-rate in heart beats per minute
- Heart-Rate Variability (variation in the time between heartbeats).
- Blood Pressure Trends
- Peripheral Oxygen Saturation (SpO2) – amount of oxygen in the blood.
- Electrocardiography (ECG) – electrical activity of the heart over a period of time
- Photoplethysmography (PPG) – change in volume of blood.
- I2C /SPI digital interface
- Dimensions – 6.8 mm x 4.93 mm x 1.2 mm OLGA 22-pin package
- Total External BOM – 4 caps + 2 electrodes
The company explains roughly how it works, and how the user will be using the solution once embedded in a smartphone:
The module uses light emitting diodes (LEDs) in conjunction with a light sensitive sensor to measure the absorption of red and infrared light by the user’s fingertips. By touching a device’s sensors and electrodes with your fingertips, MediaTek Sensio creates a closed loop between your heart and the biosensor to measure ECG and PPG waveforms.
MediaTek Sensio will be available in early 2018. Visit the product page for a few more details.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|