ASUS first gaming phone, the ROG Phone, launched in 2018, and it was quite popular. This ROG Phone II is an improved upon version of the first one.
A unique feature of the new device is the Kryo 485 CPU in the Snapdragon 855 Plus. The CPU will run at up to 2.96GHz — a 4.2% improvement compared to the 2.84Ghz of the Snapdragon 855, while the Adreno 640 GPU is clocked 15% faster than in the current Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform.
Here are the highlights of the features and specifications.
- 120Hz FHD+ AMOLED display
- 240Hz touch sampling rate, 49ms touch latency (compared to 87ms on the Samsung Galaxy S10+ and 85ms on the OnePlus 7 Pro according to figures provided by ASUS)
- Optical under-display fingerprint scanner for biometric authentication.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Plus: GPU clocked to 675MHz, Prime core clocked to 2.96GHz
- 12GB RAM
- 512GB UFS 3.0 storage
- 3D vapor chamber to maintain performance (reduce throttling) while gaming.
- Massive 6000mAh battery with 30W fast-charging
- Ultrasonic, pressure-sensitive Air Trigger buttons return. The vibration latency has been reduced by 68% from 63ms to 20ms.
- Dual high-end vibrating motors XYZ axis for surround feel
- ASUS claims the vibration is 3x stronger than on the OnePlus 7 Pro
- Dual front-facing stereo speakers
- 3.5mm headphone jack
ROG UI based on Android 9 Pie with a choice of stock Android-like user interface, and Google ARCore support.
ASUS did not release pricing information just yet, but Sogi reports the ASUS ROG Phone II (12GB RAM/512GB storage) will be priced at 26,990 NT$ in Taiwan (~$870 US) with sales starting on August 1. The phone is also up for pre-order on JD.com for 5,999 RMB (~$872) in China, and the company has a version with 8GB RAM and 128 GB storage going for 3,499 CNY (~$509), but it’s unclear whether that cheaper model will ever be sold outside of China.
Tiwalade Joanna Okedara is a content writer, and blogger, with a passion for all things tech. She also specialises in writing SEO content, and spends most of her time researching new content marketing strategies. She loves to cook, and plan events in her spare time