Samsung Electronics has announced two silicon products manufactured using a 7-nm process and extreme ultra-violet (EUV) technology with namely Exynos 990 mobile processor for premium smartphones, and 5G Exynos Modem 5123.
Samsung Exynos 990
- CPU – Octa-core, tri-cluster CPU structure
- 2x Exynos M5 custom cores
- 2x high-performance Cortex-A76 cores
- 4x power-efficient Cortex-A55 cores
- GPU – Arm Mali-G77MP11 GPU with Valhall architecture
- AI Accelerators – Dual-core neural processing unit (NPU) and digital signal processor (DSP) that can perform over 10 TOPS
- Memory I/F – LPDDR5 data rates of up to 5,500 Mbit/s
- Display – 120Hz refresh-rate display driver
- Camera – Up to 108MP in total thanks to an ISP that supports up to 6x image sensors with concurrent processing of three
- Media – 8K30 / 4K120 encode & decode of H.265/HEVC, H.264, VP9
The GPU is said to improve graphic performance or power efficiency by up to 20 percent, and the new processor enabled a 20 percent system performance boost. The AI accelerators will bring more AI features to the edge, and improve facial recognition and scene detection.
5G Exynos Modem 5123
- Sub-6GHz and mmWave spectrums
- Up to 8-carrier aggregation (8CA)
- Downlink speed up to 5.1 Gbps in Sub-6 GHz and 7.35 Gbps in mmWave
- 2G GSM/CDMA
- 3G WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, HSPA
- 4G LTE up to 3.0 Gbps thanks to 1024-QAM support
The Exynos 990 mobile SoC and Exynos Modem 5123 mass production should begin by the end of the year.
Via Press release, and some extra info from AnandTech
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
2 Replies to “Samsung Exynos 990 SoC, 5G Exynos Modem 5123 Leverage 7nm-EUV Process”
I simply don’t get this
2x Exynos M5 custom cores
2x high-performance Cortex-A76 cores
So they are not happy with Exynos M5 so they add another big/heavy/power hungry Cortex-A76
I think instead their M5 is much faster than the A76 on certain tasks but way more power hungry and they figured that using the A76 for the vast majority of tasks is better.