FriendlyELEC launched NanoPi R1 SBC & Gateway earlier this year with Allwinner H3 processor, two Ethernet ports, as well as WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. The design makes use of both Ethernet on the processor, but that also means on Gigabit Ethernet port had to be combined with a Fast Ethernet processor.
The company has now added a USB to Gigabit Ethernet bridge to their latest NanoPi R1S board meaning it’s now a dual Gigabit Ethernet SBC, but with the caveat that the port behind the USB bridge is limited to USB 2.0 speed (480 Mbps), and with overhead the USB Ethernet bandwidth is around 330 Mbps.
There are two versions of the board, namely NanoPi R1S-H3 and R1S-H5 with respectively Allwinner H3 32-bit processor, and Allwinner H5 64-bit processor.
Apart from the different processors, both boards share the same PCBA and specifications:
- NanoPi R1S-H3 – Allwinner H3 quad-core Arm Cortex-A7 processor @ up to 1.2GHz with Mali-400MP2 GPU
- NanoPi R1S-H5 – Allwinner H5 quad-core Arm Cortex-A53 processor @ up to 1.2GHz with Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – 512MB DDR3 RAM
- Storage – MicroSD Slot, SPI flash footprint
- 1x “true” Gigabit Ethernet (WAN)
- 1x “USB 2.0” Gigabit Ethernet (LAN) up to around 330 Mbps
- 802.11b/g/n WiFi 4 with IPX-I antenna connector
- USB – 1x USB Type-A host port, 1x micro USB port
- Debugging – 3-pin 2.54mm pitch header for serial console
- Misc – 3x LEDs (WAN, LAN, SYS), K1 reset button, fan header
- Power Supply – DC 5V/3A via micro USB port
- Dimensions – 55.6 x 52mm
- Temperature Range – -20℃ to 70℃
NanoPi R1S-H3 router is sold for $19.99, while NanoPi R1S-H5 goes for $3 more, and both are available on the same page on FriendlyELEC shop. I understand the prices include the board, heatsink and enclosure, and you can purchase a 16GB MicroSD card, 5V/3A power supply, and/or micro USB cable as options.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.